lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Keepspendin'
Not Yet Wild

Default G16 Drive Clutch Questions

I am working on my 2000 G16. I found that one of the clutch rollers has a flat spot on it. First of all, should I replace all three? Also, I can see small low spots on the face of all three of the weights. Should they also be replaced? There doesn't seem to be any play in the pins on the rollers or the weights. I know I'm going to need to replace the bushings and seals in the drive clutch. What other things should I be looking for ?
I was told that the rubber dampeners between the engine and swing-arm could cause problems, such as belt tension, etc., if there is wear in them. They are apperantly worn, as I can grab the top of the engine and move it a good deal. Anyone have ideas on this?
Any help anyone could give me would be appreciated.
Keepspendin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Drive Clutch Questions

How worn are the sheave area of the clutch (part where belt rides)? If the surface is worn pretty well there, I'd replace the clutch instead of rebuilding. Especially if this is a lifted cart with bigger wheels/tires.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Keepspendin'
Not Yet Wild

I can see some sign of wear, on the face of both pieces, and also, some pits in them. Most of the pits are in the face of the sliding sheave. Would a new clutch be my best bet?
Also, what do you think about the engine dampener wear?
Keepspendin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The older yamaha had a tension cable by lower front of the engine, near inline with the belt, but I forget on the g16. It can screw up the belt alignment and then it will not shift right, usually causes bogging at takeoff and worse with a lifted cart. The sheaves like Spriddle says will get wear, the aluminum wears most, and will get dished in. Lay something straight inside to outer edge and see if they are dished in from the belt wear. Eventually they wear holes in them. Eventually, especially with a worn belt, they will not push the belt to the top and then you lose top gear. If the sheaves are not worn much then rebuild it I'd replace anything worn, it will be good for a long time, the sheaves wear slow unless you run sand all the time. I just rebuilt a G9 clutch. There were Drive clutches on ebay reasonable a while back with an adapter to run them on older carts....if you just need stock performance. Aftermarket clutches you can adjust to take off harder, nice for offroad stuff and lifted carts.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha