lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #11
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: G2 engine problem.....engine knock??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Wow that sounds terrible! The clutch you look at the wobble in the outer part, grab it and go side to side and tilt it. The inner is on the crank, that is sideplay in the crank some is normal.

I think I would turn it over by hand and see if you can hear it loose on the rod or the piston or something. Hard to tell make sure its not a blown head gasket or big exhaust leak, but those would be louder with throttle.

On the video it sounds like metal hitting something, I've never heard one like that but could be the video. Does not sound like a rod but hard to say. It does not sound good.

So did this get worse gradually then?
Well, I bought the cart the first part of febuary, I was able to drive it around the guys yard a little bit, seemed to run good, hesitated a little bit, but it had a bad battery and it was cold out. I brought it home, drove it off the trailer and put it in the garage and painted it, did the lift, and all the accessories. I idled it in neutral some in the garage from now and then.

Yesterday I finally took it on its first real ride. I drove it down the road about a half mile and noticed it getting loud. Drove it another half mile or so, and decided something was not right with it, so I got a ride home and grabbed the trailer and trailered it back home.

I did change the oil again on it, there was very little in the way of metal in it, so that should be somewhat of a good sign!!

Im heading back out to the garage to play around with it a little and will report back
rb8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #12
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

I roll the engine over by hand and I dont really hear anything, a slight noise, but im thinking that is normal. I guess I have gone as far as I can, guess I will have to take to to a shop and have then look at it, just gotta find someone I trust and they know what they are doing, and hopefully they dont charge me an arm and a leg
Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM   #13
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Might be a good time to put a clone in it....lol. I know, not funny right now. Its hard to say with the video, make sure it is not a blown head gasket and its air blasting out, something hitting the flywheel on the other side, etc. If its knocking in the engine and you are pretty sure of it, I'd say you better go in there and find out what it is. Also those other posts say having the balancer off a tooth can cause knocking but I've never seen one like that. Still have to get in the case to check that. Good part is you can have the engine out in 20min or something just playing around, its really easy. Sucks to buy a cart and have this though, but it happens. Hard to say if its that guys fault or not, if he even did the rebuild. People I know they had one done for about 300 I think the guy just ringed it mostly, and bearings. But it runs ok now and no oil smoke like it did. I just rebuild the clutch on it last fall it was toast. Had to score a used on ebay and part it out, make one out of two.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Dlcain
Gone Completely Insane

Club Car

Your clutch looked like it had more side play then mine Rob. Im not such how to service them, but it sure sounds like
The clutch to me.
Dlcain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The outer sheave has a seal each side and brass bushing in there. I pressed new in one I rebuilt. That is why I said pump some grease in it and see if it changes, that will fill the bushing with grease and quiet it down some. When the bushing gets wasted the outside (movable) sheave starts to bang around on the shaft and makes an engine knock sort of sound. To me it sounds like more of a nasty valve train noise than a crank noise, when the clutch does it.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Sure wish you guys were closer to me, I'd have you guys take a look at it! I need someone to show me around this engine a bit. I think i will start lookin around for someone to look at it and get a price to fix it. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well, thought I would post an update. I took the cart to a local yamaha golf car dealer. I was real pleased with them. Hey adjusted the valves, took the belt off and played with the clutch, and finally can to the concision that the noise is coming from inside the engine. They didnt charge me for any of this.

Guess I need to decide if I want someone to tear into the motor and find the cause, or just get a new rebuilt engine to put in it. Nether an option right now, as I dont have the money right now, guess I will have to put it in the corner of the garage and save up the money, bummer I wont be able to use it this spring at the campground.

Like I said before, I dont know a whole lot about these things, so any info or options on what I should do would be greatly appreciated. They quoted me about $800 for the labor and new rebuilt engine for it.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
jakecove1
Getting Wild
Yamaha

I having same issue, what i have found that their are three different rod bearing sizes, I just ordered them and well hopefully get them put in this week, and let you know. If you have not done anything yet, ps i just rebuilt this, and was not aware of this information. I hope this helps
jakecove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think he bought a rebuilt to get the cart up and running so he could use it. Normally you turn the crank and need a smaller bearing size, but yeah if its been into before who knows what size you have.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha