lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default G16 won't fire up

Hey guys, for those of you that don't know I picked up a G16 gas limo recently. I got a deal on it from a local golf cart dealership because it was a salvage item. The engine was still in it but was missing the carburetor and muffler. The engine turned by hand without issue, cylinder just sounded a little dry.

Well first thing I did, per another forum member's suggestion was I let some Marvel Mystery soak in the cylinder for several days, with the piston at bottom dead center. I did that, as well as put some of that stuff in the crank case. After 3-4 days I drained the oil, put 1 QT fresh oil back in it, and blew the Marvel mystery out the cylinder.

I picked up a new carb, which happened to be a "Mokini" (not Mikuni) carb when I received it. I read a little about these things but figured I'd give it a try anyway. Fuel pump seems to be working and pumping fuel to the carb, and I'm getting spark, but can't seem to get the engine to fire up.

The throttle cable and choke cable are both broken, so as the motor is turning by the starter/generator with a foot on the gas pedal, I am operating the choke and throttle linkages at the carb by hand. I have tried manipulating the choke and throttle both at different positions and I can get the engine to sound like it's wanting to fire at a certain position of the choke, but the throttle linkage doesn't seem to have any affect.

Am I doing anything wrong here? By the way, I don't have any sort of air filter on the carb right now. Have fresh gaskets on it though, but I didn't want to waste money on a filter for the air box if I wasn't going to be able to get this thing to fire up. I checked the plug a few times and it doesn't seem to be getting wet, but maybe I'll try a compression test tomorrow to see what results I get. Any suggestions/input in the meantime would be great!! Thanks!

-Andrew
AGrayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 won't fire up

While trying to start it take a bottle of gas and drip or pour a little into the top of the carb. If it starts ease up on the gas and when it starts to die pour some more in it after awhile mine started running without it. Get a long stick, broom handle or the likes!!! it will make it a lot easier.

LURCH!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

They can be hard to get the carb to prime sometimes. Also with the throttle cable off or broken the motor will not have any compression so working by hand could be sure to keep throttle opened.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks so much fellas, I appreciate the help a lot! Yeah I should keep some starting fluid handy. I'll probably just get some of that instead of dripping gas all over myself lol.

Maybe I might have thinks mixed up here. The linkage closest to the engine is the choke, right? And the one furthest from the engine is the throttle?

Craig, when you say it will have no compression with the cable off I'm kinda confused. If the throttle cable is off, then the spring puts the linkage/throttle blade in the closed position, which allows for compression. And then you open the throttle blade you lose compression. Am I missing something here?? Haha :)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Choke is outside close to air box mount.
choke is designed to stay open until it is pulled then it closes.
Throttle linkage stays closed (no compression) till pedal is pushed to open it up.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Just to clarify,The throttle does not affect "Compression" it just controls air-flow.Compression is determined by Cylinder-Volume,camshaft,etc..The only thing that happens when you hold the throttle open while cranking,is cause excessive air-flow(more than the engine needs to start),which also increases draft in the carb,causing it to add too much fuel while cranking,AKA..Flooding.Most cold motors will need a little choke on start-up,especially if they have been sitting for a while(rings and valves not quite seating)Usually the choke can be turned off as soon as it fires.Make sure to put the cart on jack-stands under the rear-axle.Do Not run the engine with the belt off,your clutch can be easily damaged without the belt,especially if you rev it up.The belt keeps the sheaves separated and prevents the rollers in the clutch from over-traveling.Also put in a new spark-plug,the oil in the cylinder will kill a plug quickly.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Just to clarify,The throttle does not affect "Compression" it just controls air-flow.Compression is determined by Cylinder-Volume,camshaft,etc..The only thing that happens when you hold the throttle open while cranking,is cause excessive air-flow(more than the engine needs to start),which also increases draft in the carb,causing it to add too much fuel while cranking,AKA..Flooding.Most cold motors will need a little choke on start-up,especially if they have been sitting for a while(rings and valves not quite seating)Usually the choke can be turned off as soon as it fires.Make sure to put the cart on jack-stands under the rear-axle.Do Not run the engine with the belt off,your clutch can be easily damaged without the belt,especially if you rev it up.The belt keeps the sheaves separated and prevents the rollers in the clutch from over-traveling.Also put in a new spark-plug,the oil in the cylinder will kill a plug quickly.Hope this helps.
If the carb does not open which stops the air flow does the engine need that air for compression?
I have had a cart with broken throttle cable. With the air box off and I put a compression tester in and it would only read 20-30 on tester.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #8
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
Choke is outside close to air box mount.
choke is designed to stay open until it is pulled then it closes.
Throttle linkage stays closed (no compression) till pedal is pushed to open it up.
Thanks for the clarification Craig. I'll have to go back and look tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that the way that I have the carb installed currently is with the blade that stays closed toward the engine, and the blade that stays open toward the air box. When I say "stays open" and "stays closed", I mean without any cables connected/tension on the linkages. So sounds like I've been getting the choke and throttle confused :shiner:

So I will want to close the choke (put tension on the linkage toward the air box), and probably just slightly open the throttle (closest to the engine).... that about right? Thanks Craig!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #9
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachanga90 View Post
Thanks for the clarification! I guess the way I was looking at it is that I'm thinking if with the throttle blade closed, if you spin the engine by hand you aren't fighting against the compression to turn it. When you close the throttle blade completely and try to turn by hand you are trapping the air in the chamber more, making more compression in the cylinder. I may very well be wrong on that, but that's my recollection. Definitely aware of engine compression specs being determined by cylinder volume and all, but maybe I'm just getting things confused when turning the engine by hand.

Thanks for the tip on the drive clutch. I actually don't have a driven clutch installed currently. The cart didn't have an axle on it when I got it, so I swapped one in from another gas G16, but there was no driven clutch. I now have a used driven clutch to install, but I need to order the key for it since I lost it when removing the donor driven clutch from another cart :(

Should I be able to just make sure I don't rev it much? I'd hate to go through the trouble of installing the rear clutch so I can put the belt on, just to find out that the engine is garbage. Because if the engine is garbage, I'm probably going to do a totally different rear end. What do you think?

I'll definitely get a new plug per your suggestion. However, if I witnessed the current one sparking tonight should I be good to keep trying with this one until a new one comes in? Thanks again so much guys!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
If the carb does not open which stops the air flow does the engine need that air for compression?
I have had a cart with broken throttle cable. With the air box off and I put a compression tester in and it would only read 20-30 on tester.
I agree Craig, compression test must be done at wide open throttle and a good cranking battery.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha