lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Default Clubcar Carryall2 No spark, HEI conversion?

Hi, new member with a dilly of a pickle. I have an "Aunt's" Carryall2 with no spark and about 3000lbs of wood chips to spread around 2 acres of landscaping.

It had a bad fuel pump, I replaced that and got it running great. Drove it all around, then went down the hill to show it was all running and it would not restart at the bottom of the hill. When cranking to restart it would pop once in a while and then shot a nice bang out of the muffler eventually. Now it's got no spark at all.

I have AC voltage at the red and white wires from under the shroud, seeing about 70-90 volts with an open circuit on my Fluke. Someone advised me to snip the brown wire to kill the limiter which would about 90% of the time get spark back, that didn't work. I did find a white with black stripe wire that was connected to a black wire on the coil which was broken, I repaired that and still nothing.

The ignition coil has 4 wires, Red, White, Brown, and Black. My experience with these things is somewhat limited, I'm mostly an old points breaker 2 stroke kind of guy or an all in one coil (just set the air gap on that Briggs mower). I do have pretty good knowledge of automotive ignition circuits and diagnostics which does not seem to be helping me any here.

I tried to find some resistance specs for the ignition coil but only seemed to find specs for different coils than what this one has. Mostly older and newer models or 2 cylinder ones. Same for the HEI conversion, all for 2 stroke and older or 2 cylinder or newer. I think this is 90-91 model but I'm not totally sure and not totally sure how to tell. I can read a VIN and tell you what engine, year, etc...But not so well versed with telling golf cart model years.

I'd appreciate if someone could point me towards a nice 'idiots guide' for pickup coil specs, ignition coil specs, and GM HEI conversion information. Thanks very much in advance, I appreciate any help with this.
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Clubcar Carryall2 No spark, HEI conversion?

Hey....I think I got it figured out for a 3 wire automotive coil.

1 wire power from solenoid
1 wire ground
1 wire would be one of the two from the pickup coil? On a car it's just a ground from the computer that turns on and off. So I'm not sure how that would work with the pickup coil giving AC current, I assume I can just use one leg of the pickup to fire?

I can borrow an old/good 3 wire Coil On Plug unit from work Monday to play with some, if it works then I'll just get a coil like for a 97 Jetta, bolt it on the engine and make a plug wire up.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Let me clarify as I was talking to someone and they sent me a photo of their clubcar, it's a totally different engine and ignition setup!

EDIT: I CANNOT POST THE LINK TO SHOW YOU WHAT THIS ENGINE HAS. Can I even post a photo when I get one?
It's on ebay, the number is 300722106811, not that anyone is going to bother to actually look.

That's the coil this engine has, its a flat head single cylinder.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #4
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

I'm borrowing 2 two wire coils from work.
One is a GM coil I think
One is a Ford COP

Hopefully I can get something worked out. We didn't have any 3 wire coils laying around that I saw, but I'm going to look again. Think I can use 1/2 of the AC voltage from the pickup as trigger for the COP module? The GM looking coil is more traditional looking. Just two terminals with + and -. Do I want to use both sides of the pickup coil to energize that or one constant power? I don't know if the pickup makes enough amperage to fire off a coil like that.

I'm used to either points breaker on magneto driven system, a self contained transistor switched magneto, or a computer controlled system with hall effect pickup and an ignition module/PCM that switches ground for the coil. I'm not do good at improvising which is why I'm asking for help. Not sure why no one is chiming in... Just talking to myself. I hope it does help someone though.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Grabbed a VW 4 wire COP with a wiring diagram too.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Goodbye.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitter View Post
Goodbye.
GEEEZ dude... Don't kill yourself over a golf car coil!

look... I followed this thread since you started it,
and I was waiting to see if you came up with something different besides an OEM coil!
It's always been my understanding that you HAVE to use a golf car coil... in a golf car!
I was just curious if you going to solve the riddle!

Also... you have to understand that everything you posted sounds like
you were just talking to yourself, and not really asking our opinion!

But, if you want an opinion, get a coil that's made for your cart!

my .02
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Bitter
Not Yet Wild

Nah, it's done. It runs. Audios.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Glad we could help...
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car