lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default King Pin bushings

Is there a specific way to remove the kingpin from a G8? I never done one but the bushings are shot and would like to replace.
macadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Default Re: King Pin bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe View Post
Is there a specific way to remove the kingpin from a G8? I never done one but the bushings are shot and would like to replace.
Mac...if its like mine (G2) I had to soak the pins for several hours with PB blaster to get them to let go. Mine has a little roll pin that has to be driven out for the pin to slide out. The process is pretty easy after that. Did you get a kit with the pins, all the bushings and rubber covers?
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You are correct about the roll-pin in the spindle. Also, no special tools are needed, only a hammer and punch, I also use a 3/8 drive extension with a socket installed upside down as a driver to drive in the new bushings. Be sure to get the metal bushings with rubber caps, dont accept the plastic type that were installed on the assy line, at our shop we don't even offer those....START HERE TO REPLACE BUSHINGS> Fetch can of Brake-clean and rags. Remove both front wheels. After driving out roll-pin, Usually, the kingpin will still be stuck in the spindle. first put the punch through the hole in the bottom of the kingpin and try to twist back-n-forth to get the kingpin out. When this method fails (50% chance), use the punch to punch through the top of the plastic bushing and use the punch and hammer to drive the pin out through the bottom. Clean the pin and the hole inside the spindle where the pin was until the pin slides in easy. Inspect the kingpin for damage from wearing through the old bushing, the kingpins are Very hard metal and 99% of the time are ok. (any kingpin you replace goes in your toolbox as a great quality punch for future use). Clean the washer that goes on top of spindle. Set spindle, kingpin and washer to the side out of your way. Remove the old bushings (carefully with hammer and punch). clean the end of a-arm where the bushings go. Orient the new taller upper bushing so that the split faces you, slide the 3/8 extension through the bottom hole and install your upside-down socket on the extension. use the socket/extension to drive in the new bushing. Repeat this procedure for the bottom bushing, BUT with the split facing AWAY from you on the bottom one. Now test fit the kingpin into both bushings and check for free turning movement. If it doesn't turn freely, gently hit the kingpin from several directions with the hammer untill it moves freely (This might sound bad, but it works and doesn't hurt the kingpin or bushings). Smear some grease in the bushings, on the kingpin, and on the washer. Install all parts as they were removed, DON'T forget the roll-pin when you have put the kingpin back in! REPEAT for other side. Now enjoy years of trouble free service! This job takes about 45 mins, and is a huge improvement in steering feel.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moretoy View Post
Mac...if its like mine (G2) I had to soak the pins for several hours with PB blaster to get them to let go. Mine has a little roll pin that has to be driven out for the pin to slide out. The process is pretty easy after that. Did you get a kit with the pins, all the bushings and rubber covers?
Thanks for the info, I didn't get the bushings yet. I did see the kit that came with new kingpins. Im guessing to old ones are ok and just have to replace all the bushings.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
macadoe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
You are correct about the roll-pin in the spindle. Also, no special tools are needed, only a hammer and punch, I also use a 3/8 drive extension with a socket installed upside down as a driver to drive in the new bushings. Be sure to get the metal bushings with rubber caps, dont accept the plastic type that were installed on the assy line, at our shop we don't even offer those....START HERE TO REPLACE BUSHINGS> Fetch can of Brake-clean and rags. Remove both front wheels. After driving out roll-pin, Usually, the kingpin will still be stuck in the spindle. first put the punch through the hole in the bottom of the kingpin and try to twist back-n-forth to get the kingpin out. When this method fails (50% chance), use the punch to punch through the top of the plastic bushing and use the punch and hammer to drive the pin out through the bottom. Clean the pin and the hole inside the spindle where the pin was until the pin slides in easy. Inspect the kingpin for damage from wearing through the old bushing, the kingpins are Very hard metal and 99% of the time are ok. (any kingpin you replace goes in your toolbox as a great quality punch for future use). Clean the washer that goes on top of spindle. Set spindle, kingpin and washer to the side out of your way. Remove the old bushings (carefully with hammer and punch). clean the end of a-arm where the bushings go. Orient the new taller upper bushing so that the split faces you, slide the 3/8 extension through the bottom hole and install your upside-down socket on the extension. use the socket/extension to drive in the new bushing. Repeat this procedure for the bottom bushing, BUT with the split facing AWAY from you on the bottom one. Now test fit the kingpin into both bushings and check for free turning movement. If it doesn't turn freely, gently hit the kingpin from several directions with the hammer untill it moves freely (This might sound bad, but it works and doesn't hurt the kingpin or bushings). Smear some grease in the bushings, on the kingpin, and on the washer. Install all parts as they were removed, DON'T forget the roll-pin when you have put the kingpin back in! REPEAT for other side. Now enjoy years of trouble free service! This job takes about 45 mins, and is a huge improvement in steering feel.
Thank you sounds pretty straight forward. This is my first cart and noticed quite a bit of play from the one wheel. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
1moretoy
Never really finished

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadoe View Post
Thank you sounds pretty straight forward. This is my first cart and noticed quite a bit of play from the one wheel. Thanks for your help and I will let you know how it goes.
While you have your hubs off...double check your wheel bearing (especially the inner)
1moretoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha