lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Why not the BU torque spring for driven clutch??

I just finished rebuilding my drive clutch and solved a several issues. Now I'm ready to do the driven clutch. I picked up an upgraded spring from BU for it I'm installing a lift and 25" tires.

I've seen a bunch of comments on here about NOT using the spring from BU. Why? Is it because a lot of folks just don't like BU, or is there an issue with the spring? I already have it and it's too late to return it, but if it is really no good I'll buy one from Tom and just toss this one. I just didn't know about CPP when I picked it up.

Thoughts on this before I install it? Any feedback from those who have used the BU spring?

Thanks as always!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bump.....

Somebody save me before I just install this thing.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Why not the BU torque spring for driven clutch??

Just install it!
I don't have any advice on the BU torque spring, and I don't remember a lot of bad things said about it!

The whole deal with the animosities about BU is mostly due to underpricing their competition with Asian knock off parts and poor customer service!

If it doesn't work the way they say it will, then post your review so others know! It's not like your out $500.00!
If it does work as expected... then post that too!
It's amazing how many people can learn from other peoples experiences, good or bad!

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Just install it!
I don't have any advice on the BU torque spring, and I don't remember a lot of bad things said about it!

The whole deal with the animosities about BU is mostly due to underpricing their competition with Asian knock off parts and poor customer service!

If it doesn't work the way they say it will, then post your review so others know! It's not like your out $500.00!
If it does work as expected... then post that too!
It's amazing how many people can learn from other peoples experiences, good or bad!

Copy that. I had just seen a post or two claiming that the BU spring was bad because it doesn't have the ears to pre-tension it.

Eff it, I'll put it in.

thanks

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

It's my understanding that "none" of these torque springs have the ears. Because the tension on the spring is greater than stock, the ears are not needed. I also have a BU spring that is sitting on my bench that I haven't installed. I started to install it and found that the clutch was actually broken, so I put in a new clutch "as is". I need the torque, but haven't got around to trying the spring yet. I'm anxious to hear your results!!

BTW, please let us know how in the world you get that thing compressed for removal and installation. I've seen folks talk about it, but I'd love to hear what you had to do. Thanks!
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
___Brandon
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I used a bench vise to compress mine, it worked great!

Use a couple nuts as spacers on the snap ring side to compress it in and then you will still have clearance to get the snap ring out.

Just becareful not to squeeze it too hard.
___Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Mark27
Getting Wild

Club Car

A vise makes sense. I have one of those PVC things that works as the spacer you mentioned. I tried sitting on it, standing on it, and using a floor jack, before I noticed that the clutch was broken. I certainly didn't mean to hijack this thread. It just seems that we all have similar problems and tasks, and reading explanations of what folks actually find and do is most helpful. Thanks Brandon, and everyone else on here.
Mark27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #8
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Haven't had time to tackle mine yet...not sure how I'll go about it...Maybe a big lever of some kind. I'll let ya know.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car