lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
rwwoods
Not Yet Wild

Default Fuel Starvation

About 5 months ago I fixed a fuel starvation issue with my 2008 Club Car DS buy replacing the fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, impulse line and clamps. I also checked to ensure the gas pickup tube in the tank was not clogged and that there was no debris in the tank. I also ensured the impulse line was not too long. I had no more fuel issues until now. The starvation issue occurs sometimes after the cart has been driven for a long distance (7 miles). The engine will sputter to a stop, but will restart and run for a short distance after I let it set for a few seconds. This repeats over and over again as I drive, but I can halt the starvation by running with a light throttle. When the engine stops I notice filter before the pump is about half full, but the one after the pump is virtually empty. After the cart sits for a hour or so, both filters are full. I can find no fuel leaks. Any ideas would be appreciated
rwwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Fuel Starvation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwoods View Post
About 5 months ago I fixed a fuel starvation issue with my 2008 Club Car DS buy replacing the fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, impulse line and clamps. I also checked to ensure the gas pickup tube in the tank was not clogged and that there was no debris in the tank. I also ensured the impulse line was not too long. I had no more fuel issues until now. The starvation issue occurs sometimes after the cart has been driven for a long distance (7 miles). The engine will sputter to a stop, but will restart and run for a short distance after I let it set for a few seconds. This repeats over and over again as I drive, but I can halt the starvation by running with a light throttle. When the engine stops I notice filter before the pump is about half full, but the one after the pump is virtually empty. After the cart sits for a hour or so, both filters are full. I can find no fuel leaks. Any ideas would be appreciated
Try loosening the gas cap as a first port of call. A blocked off gas cap vent might be the answer.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
rwwoods
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the idea. I checked and the tank vent and is working, the line is open and the carb vent line is open.

I forgot to mention that the problem only occurs on the return trip, never outbound. Heat related? Also, it only occurs when there are two passengers, but not one. Faster fuel consumption rate? Could this be a carb issue?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've got a very similar problem I'm chasing. I too put in a new fuel pump, checked all lines, checked cap vent etc... Only happens after running it WOT for a while. Like you, if I back off the throttle a little it will keep going and eventually sort itself out.

Hoping to hear some more suggestion!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
rwwoods
Not Yet Wild

bump. Anyone?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Land Owner
Gone Wild

Club Car

I may have your solution. Quick to try and nothing to purchase.

Take out the fuel pump, squirt Gunk or brake cleaner into the brass filter on its outside, let it sit a little and blow it out from inside out with compressed air, then reinstall.

After I did all that you did, it was the last thing and it worked.
Land Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #7
rwwoods
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the idea, but the pump is almost new and the filter is very clean.
Someone suggested to me that the problem may be low compression causing a low impulse to the fuel pump. The cart does consume oil even though I see no blue smoke in the exhaust. I am going to replace the 30 weight oil with 20W-50 to see if the higher viscosity will resolve the situation.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwoods View Post
Thanks for the idea, but the pump is almost new and the filter is very clean.
Someone suggested to me that the problem may be low compression causing a low impulse to the fuel pump. The cart does consume oil even though I see no blue smoke in the exhaust. I am going to replace the 30 weight oil with 20W-50 to see if the higher viscosity will resolve the situation.
A compression test is simple and cheap. You should be seeing 120 psi + on a reasonable engine. Changing oil weight wont do a thing to help compression since it's below the piston rings. Try a shot of Seafoam in your gas tank. Any carbon deposits will free up your rings and allow the valves to seat better. Not a miracle cure but it's cheap to use and really does work in some cases.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
Rastus
Not Yet Wild

make sure the crank case pulse line has no dip down to it. it will let oil sit in valley and to into car over time and also not give you the full fuel pump pressure needed
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
rwwoods
Not Yet Wild

I am also considering that the engine may be running rich. In checking out the air supply, I want to ensure the choke is properly adjusted so the air is not restricted; however, I can find no instructions in the service manual for adjustment. All I can find is an exploded parts view. Is there a proper way of adjusting the choke?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car