lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
the_journalist
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default '93 DS Starting issues after cool down

Searched and this thread was close to my problem, but mine is slightly different.
I get mild dieseling on extremely hot days, but otherwise the cart runs like a champ. The real problem comes after riding for extended periods then stopping long enough for the engine to cool down. Then, it's hesitant to start. It takes winding the starter for 5-15 seconds to finally fire, and choking it makes no difference at all. Once it starts, the problem disappears until I ride it some distance again, stop and let it cool down. If I ride it only for short distances, and it never really gets hot, there is no issue at all. Cart only has about 1100 hours on it, and by all appearances has been extremely well maintained.
Anybody seen this problem before?
the_journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
the_journalist
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: '93 DS Starting issues after cool down

Nobody? Anyone got any thoughts anyway?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

it sure sounds like a carbon buildup problem detonation causes the dieseling which is carbon buildup that gets so hot that it will continue to fire the fuel even without spark , on the other hand that same problem after a long run will "dry out" the normally gas soaked carbon causing most of your fuel charge coming from the carb to be "absorbed" by the carbon thus starving the cylinder for fuel to start , im sure someone else on here can suggest some chemicals to clear up the carbon i would start with maybe filling the the cylinder with seafoam down the spark plug hole and letting it sit for a day or two then pump that out by cranking the engine with the sparkplug out and then when clear change the oil and replace the spark plug and run it for a while it may smoke while burning off the carbon. maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm my idea or offer some other resolution other thank pulling the head and cleaning it
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
the_journalist
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
it sure sounds like a carbon buildup problem detonation causes the dieseling which is carbon buildup that gets so hot that it will continue to fire the fuel even without spark , on the other hand that same problem after a long run will "dry out" the normally gas soaked carbon causing most of your fuel charge coming from the carb to be "absorbed" by the carbon thus starving the cylinder for fuel to start , im sure someone else on here can suggest some chemicals to clear up the carbon i would start with maybe filling the the cylinder with seafoam down the spark plug hole and letting it sit for a day or two then pump that out by cranking the engine with the sparkplug out and then when clear change the oil and replace the spark plug and run it for a while it may smoke while burning off the carbon. maybe someone else can chime in here to confirm my idea or offer some other resolution other thank pulling the head and cleaning it
Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered carbon buildup possibly causing the hard start. I just picked up a new oil filter yesterday and have plans to change oil this week. It couldn't hurt to seafoam the whole engine to clean out the 20 years of goop in the crank case. Might as well dump some in the cylinder to see if I can loosen up some carbon too. I'll post back here if it all makes any difference.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car