lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default A zillion questions from a new owner

As a person new to the cart world, I’ve visited several Internet websites and have found this to be the most helpful site. Please be warned this is a VERY lengthy post!

Our cart is a 2007 Club Car Precedent Gas that is 100% original and stock. It’s a black body with beige seats and roof, and it has lights and a rear seat that were dealer installed. Purchased from an estate, it had the original fuel and oil, and is brand new. I’ve attached a few photo’s.

The primary use will be to drive around the Houghton Lake area of Michigan where we have a house on the lake (paved road) and try to visit a couple of times per month. No off-road use is planned. We will also use it to pull boat hoists out of the lake and up our seawall, so torque is important.

With the rear seat, it looks like I’ll need to install a hitch to the bottom portion of the footrest on the seat That doesn’t look like it will be too strong. Is there a better setup?

My wife says we need to “make it high, and put some of those cool wheels on it!” I do as I’m told, and there are numerous modifications planned for it. Here’s my list of ideas, and I would really welcome comments and suggestions, as well as advice regarding our questions.

I have placed an order with Rocky Top Carts (a site sponsor, I was told) to purchase 14” wheels, 23” tires a Jake’s 6” Double A-Arm kit, and HD rear springs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111147967909...84.m1438.l2649

Though not a mechanic, I believe I can handle the installation. Based upon other comments within this site, it appears as though it is advised to craft a “plate” for the snubber to allow the engine to rest in the same relative position as it did before the lift. Here’s LOCKMAN1’s reply to a question:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...oil-level.html

My Question - If the lift is 6”, should the plate be 6” or some other distance? Photo’s of other owners modifications make it difficult to estimate how “long” the extension is. And is it only on the FRONT of the engine (the snubber area), or is it necessary to modify the rear portion of the engine cradle, too?

Will I also need to do something with the Air Intake on my Precedent?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ubcar-gas.html

And regarding the REAR portion of the lift, as mentioned, I’m also installing HD springs. Rocky’s says I may need to install shorter axle seats. What’s your experience with this? Will I need to find, order and install a different set of axle seats than is provided within the Jake’s kit?

Seat covers – We want black seats. It’s a shame the beige seats are new, but that’s the way it goes. eBay has numerous sellers (and some of them are also site sponsors), and most appear to provide quality seat covers.

Question – Remove the existing vinyl or cover over it? Staple-on or zipper type? And I’ve noticed some of the staple kits staple right onto the plastic. I will not do that. Wouldn’t it be better to remove the plastic from the wood and staple directly to the wood for a “cleaner” look? Though I have found two comments regarding the zipper-style seat covers, I wonder whether any users would care to add another comment regarding the durability of the zipper setup?

Speed – This thing is SLOW. 11 MPH with GPS, and it’s painful. But with adult sons who love speed and granddaughters who one day will take the wheel themselves, I’m also not interested in being radical. I called a local CC Dealer to ask for pricing regarding the Xcelerator option. $740 for the kit itself. That is no longer an option.

I bought a new Equus 8068 Tachometer, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/equ-8068/all but I do not intend to do anything that makes my rely on not exceeding xxxx RPM’s. Because so many different family members will have access to the cart, I’m afraid the engine would be damaged unintentionally if the driver had to rely on the tach.

My sons would blow it up if I removed the governor, so that’s out. Will the Zip Tie idea allow over-revving?

I’d also like if it idled, and it appears as though there’s a kit for that. What are the pros and cons (aside from overheating)? I removed the floor mat and looked for a Black wire to remove to allow it to idle, but WHICH black wire?

As for Clutch work, it seems like folks like the machining techniques of Tom at Cart Parts Plus, as well as Plowman’s. Since my clutch is new, nothing is worn. I’m simply seeking additional speed and torque. Which vendor is preferred? Do clutch modifications prevent over-revving?

What about this type of Clutch kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400566242876...84.m1438.l2649

We want a black roof. Should we have it painted black professionally or replace it?

Round Harley key ignition – I am NOT electrically savvy, but I’m intrigued by the thought of having a non-typical key. I remember reading a post about this Harley ignition. Is it “plug and play” for carts? Pros and cons?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=251343620226

We plan to replace the steering wheel. Without damaging the original wheel, is there a removal trick?

Those Performance Shifter’s look cool. Worth considering or do they interfere too much?

That’s a lot to display and ask. I’ll have more later. Thanks for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A (55).jpg (102.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (63).jpg (330.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (72).jpg (124.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (73).jpg (310.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (86).jpg (174.3 KB, 0 views)
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: A zillion questions from a new owner

I forgot to mention I have a few disconnected wires (one of the photos with the arrows). Hoping someone can advise where they plug.

A few more photo's, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A (89).jpg (175.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (110).jpg (124.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A (111).jpg (323.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snubber.jpg (193.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rep View Post
My Question - If the lift is 6”, should the plate be 6” or some other distance? Photo’s of other owners modifications make it difficult to estimate how “long” the extension is. And is it only on the FRONT of the engine (the snubber area), or is it necessary to modify the rear portion of the engine cradle, too?
I lifted my cart 6" and I only lowered the front of the engine cradle at the snubber down 2". No modification needed at the rear.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

And I thought I was long-winded!

I Have an 07 DS, and don't know Precedents very well, so I cant answer all of the questions, BUT... I can answer a few!

First off... don't worry about the disconnected wires! Club Car uses the same wiring harness for a number of different vehicles!

Next... Zip Tie...
Most here don't like the idea of a Zip Tie, it's a quick, temporary fix to get they're cart to go faster!
I, however have been using Zip Tie's since I bought my cart in 07, It's an easy way to be able to adjust the RPM's higher or lower!
sadly, they only last about 2 years and they break, and then you'll have to replace them!
I've also heard of 1... just 1 person where the spring broke and left him stranded until he WASS (not a typo!) able to get a new spring!

Next... The key switch...
Club Car actually has a "keyed different" switch that I used on my cart,
The reason I used a factory "KD" CC switch was that with CC gassers, the key switch has 4 posts, and the tubular (Harley) key switch has 2 posts,
The Harley switches work perfect for electric carts (2 post), but, the wiring is a bit more difficult with the gassers!
(some have done it... and they're welcome to chime in if they want!)

Next... The snubber extension...
Only 1 out of 50 people do this with just a 6" lift! the other 49 just leave it as it is, and mark they're dip stick!
(of coarse, unless they're oil light comes on at higher RPM's... then they do it!)
The newer DS's and Precedents have the same air box, engine pan, and transaxle setup!
I lowered my snubber an 1 1/2", (7" lift) which in turn, pinched my intake air hose, and shortened my brake cables!
I did the intake mod, then I had to do something about my brake cables... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lifte...-brackets.html
(Again... I don't know much about Precedents, so, the bracket extensions may not be applicable!)

Next... The Shifter...
I have a Jake's, and love it! the only time it gets in the way is if you try to get to the drivers seat from the passenger side!

As for getting a Precedent to idle? it can be done, I just don't know how!
Others have done it... something about cutting/disconnecting a wire at/below the GO pedal.

the seat covers, and painting the roof, I'll leave to others... there are LOTS of threads on them!

Long-winded enough for ya'?

Hope some of this helps! (it took me forever to type and edit it!)

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thumbs up Re: A zillion questions from a new owner

I truly appreciate the replies and information within them. And I warned ya about the length of the post!

And Lockman1, it appears that you've taken plenty of time to take newbies under the wing. Very cool.

I don't expect to receive my parts until next week. Perhaps others may choose to comment before I get to work.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

lockman, has a wide wing span.......smirking
it sounds like you are on the right track.....
keep us posted on whats going on.....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

BGW is here to ask questions about carts, and hopefully get them answered, I do what I can!

Note: I just remembered... DS and Precedent air boxes are not the same! so I don't know if you'd need the intake mod, or not!

Happy carting!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
jdiehl305
Not Yet Wild

I also bought the Harley round key because I read it worked and was easy. I'd love to see/hear the installation process someone used. A picture would be great! If I remember right, the user that recommended it was TerryH. Hope he sees this thread and chimes in.
jdiehl305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Yep... Terry used one on his crazy cool 07 EZ-GO! but... it's electric! (only requires 2 connections!)

Here's the back of a CC Gas key switch:

Key Switch wiring.jpg

I'd also like to know how some of the CC gas guys wired it!

Tags
clutch, gas, lift, precedent, seats
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car