lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
LBC970
Not Yet Wild

Default '97ish FE290 - Crank, No Start

I have been searching the forums for a few days now, and have been through the troubleshooting steps in the service manual four times, and still no luck...

'97ish ClubCar with the FE290 engine, step on the pedal I get a good crank from the starter, but the engine wont start. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Compression Test - tested nearly 40psi low, squirted a tsp of oil in cylinder and retested, tested within 5psi of factory.
-Replaced piston rings with factory spec set.
-Replaced all seals and gaskets.
-Adjusted valves to factory specs.
-Retested compression, tested within 5psi of factory.
2) Checked fuel system - I'm getting fuel, lots of it at the carb.
-Replaced all 3 fuel lines with new.
-Replaced fuel filter.
-Replaced fuel pump. (Figured what the hell, it was the factory one.)
-Drained fuel and filled with fresh gas. (91 Octane!)
-Replaced carb with one from a known working cart, no longer spitting fuel into the air filter hose, but didn't change anything. I also rebuilt the original carb with no luck.
3) Electrical tests!
-Tested all posts on solenoid, everything within specs.
-Tested all micro switches, everything within specs.
-Tested for errant grounded wires, found none.
-Tested battery, 13.1V and about 400 CCA.
-Checked fuse, ohm'd it too! Within specs.
-Tested spark with a spark tester, getting a flash. Not sure how bright it should be however.
-Replaced, and gapped plug to specs.
-Followed the service manual test of the engine kill circuit, made no difference plugged in or not.
I'm running out of ideas here. I have been through the book, I have fixed three other carts in the last week with various issues, but this one has me stumped. So I am coming to you guys. Is there something I should be looking into here?

If there is any other info you guys need, just let me know. I will be continuing with this cart Monday afternoon. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Cody

Last edited by LBC970; 05-04-2014 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: Additional info...
LBC970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '97ish FE290 - Crank, No Start

im going to go out on a limb here and guess you had pulled the engine with that ring job , i bet your turning the engine backwards in late 96 they changed the rotation of the engines from ccw to cw screwing up a perfectly good design and what i think is either you hooked up the wires to the starter generator backwards or maybe you changed the cam with one from a ccw motor either way im guessing that your pumping fuel out the carb was the due to the engine pumping backwards
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
LBC970
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuckbuild View Post
im going to go out on a limb here and guess you had pulled the engine with that ring job , i bet your turning the engine backwards in late 96 they changed the rotation of the engines from ccw to cw screwing up a perfectly good design and what i think is either you hooked up the wires to the starter generator backwards or maybe you changed the cam with one from a ccw motor either way im guessing that your pumping fuel out the carb was the due to the engine pumping backwards
Actually, it is spinning CCW. I just hooked the starter back up the way it came out. The only service manual I have is a 1995-1996 one too, so I could see how the starter might have been installed incorrectly by the mechanic before me as well.

nobuckbuild, I will give it a shot real quick and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

Cody

EDIT UPDATE: nobuckbuild, that was it. Sort of. I checked to see what year our parts cart is, it's a '96. So I can only assume the starter came off that cart 2 years ago, and thats why the previous mechanic parked it in the boneyard. After a "rebuild" and a correctly cranking engine, it is one of our best running carts now! I swapped in a starter from another '97 cart and it runs great.

Thanks again for your help!

Cody

Last edited by LBC970; 05-05-2014 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: Fixed it...
LBC970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

glad to hear it worked you had everything else fuel spark compression , just had it going the wrong way
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car