lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Could This Really Cause a Problem?

So as some may know I've been wrestling with the darn CC for a few months now,
Rebuilt motor
New battery
New tires
New V/R
Rebuilt S/G.....
Now it runs great. But the problem is my just recently rebuilt S/G after a little bit of driving, will get so hot the cart bogs, and eventually will not allow the cart to start back up.
If I let it cool overnight. It will start back up. Now my question is, could a small dinky cut like this in the S/G ground going to the frame cause a short that could cause the extreme heat?
I honestly don't have a clue on where to even go from here.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1010141527.jpg (120.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by colu41; 10-10-2014 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: used wrong word
colu41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default Re: Could This Really Cause a Short?

It won't short unless 12v comes in contact with it, but I believe it will build up heat where the cable is damaged. You've replaced a lot, replace the cable,too.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
colu41
Getting Wild

Default Re: Could This Really Cause a Short?

I plan on replacing all the larger gauge wiring but, I don't know if it will fix my problem or not.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Could This Really Cause a Problem?

I would swap out a known good starter and see if the problrm is still there. after changing that $3 cable!!!
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Rodriguezmf1250
Getting Wild

Voltage regulator OK? What's battery voltage after overheating? Also during rebuild did you check windings and bearings in S/G? As stated above I don't think cut on ground would cause overheat to extent of killing the motor. Test voltage regulator make sure your not overcharging, that would cause overheating.
Rodriguezmf1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
colu41
Getting Wild

The S/G was rebuilt with new brushes, armature and bearings (supposedly). And a brand new regulator was put in prior.

Forgot to mention in this post, my last ride I took the S/G got so hot it was smoking. So, it's more than likely shot, again.... so me putting a new one in and having that burn out too I'm guessing is not an option until I figure out what's causing it to burn up.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguezmf1250 View Post
Voltage regulator OK? What's battery voltage after overheating? Also during rebuild did you check windings and bearings in S/G? As stated above I don't think cut on ground would cause overheat to extent of killing the motor. Test voltage regulator make sure your not overcharging, that would cause overheating.
Well if the brand new VR was bad and over charging, it would be over charging the battery, not overloading the S/G. Is that right? I could maybe see if the VR was locked up and not allowing any voltage through then maybe it would be holding it all in the S/G, but again, I don't see the brand new VR being bad.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #8
Rodriguezmf1250
Getting Wild

It seems to me that the S/G or regulator are the questionable parts. The S/G well run full field, meaning the regulator "regulates" the output to charge your battery. If running full field you are over working your S/G. Like a motor it can overheat in a full field state after to long. Your battery would be getting an overcharge which would then lead to poor battery life later, but the S/G i believe would go before noticeable battery life decrease. The windings inside could be bad, as well as the bearings. I take it someone else rebuilt the S/G. Do this test as a start. With voltmeter on battery and cart jacked up in rear and in neutral, press the gas and check to see voltage reading. The voltage should slowly rise and stop between 14 and 15.7 volts. Anything higher it's a bad regulator, anything lower or no rise and S/G is bad.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
Rodriguezmf1250
Getting Wild

Sorry when I say voltmeter on battery I mean red lead to positive and black lead to negative. Just in case your not familiar with using a voltmeter.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
colu41
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguezmf1250 View Post
Sorry when I say voltmeter on battery I mean red lead to positive and black lead to negative. Just in case your not familiar with using a voltmeter.
Ive been volt testing this thing everyday since I got it. lol. Just wishing something would change. I haven't checked voltage again since this meltdown happened. lol.

Going to replace some of the wiring next week, and then charge up the battery and test it again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car