lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Default Stock Motor Lugs

Pulled the rear body off to start working on my wiring upgrade since my ground wire melted a few weeks back. Upon looking at the motor once the body was the off, the lugs on the stock motor are really corroded. To the point where the nuts may not unscrew. Can I change these myself if it comes down to it? As it is, I had to cut three of the four bolts off with a grinder that hold the body on.
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Stock Motor Lugs

I would think that you will have a hard time finding individual parts for your motor. It would be best to take it to an electric motor shop. Some things are best left to the experts. Unless you are an expert. :)
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

No expert here that's for sure.
Old 12-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I was going to replace the lugs on a series motor until I saw it was soldiered on the inner cage . if your lucky the one you need to do might be on the brushes.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I was going to replace the lugs on a series motor until I saw it was soldiered on the inner cage . if your lucky the one you need to do might be on the brushes.
I'm worried that it would be all of them. Maybe this would just be a good time to send it in to PQ. I will call a few places to see what it would cost to change them out and compare that to sending it to PQ for a Purple motor. Here is a picture, but not the best quality/lighting.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Small wire brush - clean up those studs GOOD.

can of PB Blaster - soak all those studs/nuts, hit them a couple or three times a day for a couple days.

Hit again with Blaster before taking the nuts off, then use TWO WRENCHES (very important) one on the bottom nut to hold and not let the stud twist and one on top to turn the top nut off. They'll break loose, just be careful.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #7
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Update: Sprayed them a few times with PB Blaster over the last day and a half. This afternoon I decided I've give it a try to loosen them. I got the wire on the top stud in the picture off. Even with backup, the stud would still spin with the top nut. Eventually the top nut broke loose and the nut unscrewed. Started on the Ground lug and this one is not cooperating. Similar issue in that the stud turns with the top nut. I'm wondering if these studs are threaded into something inside the motor? Certainly not soldered solid from what I can see/feel while trying to unscrew them. I didn't get past the Ground lug today, but will give the others a try tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Motor probably won't run once you fix everything. Since the studs spun, the wires most likely broke off inside. It may be time for a Plum Quick rebuild
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

x2 If the stud spun much at all it likely pulled the stud loose from its internal connections. These CAN be taken apart and fixed, but that's a job for a pro if you aren't too comfortable with these things - I lucked out by having a few old ones to learn on. PQ is a good option.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
MudHog
South LA Coonass
Yamaha

Was afraid that was the case. I tried PQ a few times today and couldn't get anyone. I'll try some more tomorrow. Is PQ still an option with my cart being a resistor cart? It is 36V and bone stock with no plans to do any lift/tires on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car