lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

Default Star Car Charger issues

I have a 2008 Star Car that I bought used, I replaced the batteries 12 months, 6 Batteries 8 Volt it has a Curtis 400 36-48 controller.
The Charger that came with is a Schaeur 48 Volt, that seems to have worked well charging the new batteries. The charger has stopped working the fan is not spinning it was plugged in 24 hours and the batteries are at 3/4 charge about where it was when I plugged in it.

The Questions: Can the charger be rebuilt if so any recommendations.
If I need a new charger any brand recommendations. I have the Round plug

Any help and advice is appreciated.
Dave
dlasseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Star Car Charger issues

Do not assume that your cart is 36 volts simply due to the number of battery; you've already said that the charger is 48 volt... If you do not know you can either check with a meter or you can count the water fill caps in the battery; 3 caps equal 6 volt, 4 caps equal 8 volt.

Have you plugged another devise in where the charger is plugged in to make sure that the receptacle is live? Does the charger itself have a fuse or reset button?

If a new charger is needed I will recommend a DPI from one of the site sponsors here such as ScottyB...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I questioned myself and relooked at the batteries and they are Trojan 8 Volts. So it is a 48 volt. The charger Power light comes on but it doesn't have a reset or fuse that is exposed, I have not opened it up to investigate.
I think that I will just look for a new charger.
Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Does you know anyone with another Star Car? It might be helpful to try another charger on your cart and/or your charger on another cart that way you narrow down the problem to one item or another. I don't know anything about Star Cars so I can't say if it has an on board computer or circuit that controls the charger etc....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

I am going to take the charger to a dealer that is local and let them check it out. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 06-08-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

That charger is garbage. I have seen many catch on fire. Although I have yet to see one burn down someones house, they are not a good charger. Throw it in the trash, buy yourself a Lester charger and be done with buying a charger ever again.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks I never liked the charger. I am looking at a DPI I have not found a Lester that supported a Star. I will search again.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Skip the Lester E-series (grey front, dark grey top & sides), its their "cheaper" model. Never been a big fan of the failed transformers in the Lestronic II/ Powerwise II. Cant go wrong with the Old 25a Lester in a plain aluminum colored box. I have a bunch of great old lesters, a couple of really powerful Really old lesters in green cases that just wont die, and a bunch of newer paperweight broken lesters. I have yet to find a single "new design, high frequency" charger from any maker that i would trust farther than i can throw it (easily identified by weighing about 5 lbs), the best HF charger i know of is the DeltaQ QuiQ (and they had their own design problems, especially the "onboard" models).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #9
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

I replaced my charger with a dpi and used the charger twice and it seemed to worked fine, before I stored the star car for a month. The batteries were 3/4 charged and I didn't connect the charger when I stored it. Upon my return the car is competly dead. The battery indicator doesn't come on or any clicking. Could the new dpi charger damaged the controller. I am not sure where to even start.
Thanks for any guidance
Old 08-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Dpi didnt harm your controller. A parasitic load drew your batteries down while you were away. Your next move is critical. First, check to see that all cell plates are covered by electrolyte. Next, You will need to get your hands on a car battery charger, you will need to charge your batteries 2-by-2 enough to bring them up and allow your Dpi to charge them normally.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay