lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
mlj427
Gone Wild

Default Re: Star Car Charger issues

You need a basic car charger not a smart charger. Smart chargers will not charge a dead battery only a low battery.

Good luck
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

Thanks when you say 2x2 are you saying to connect the car charger to 2 batteries at a time. Do I use jumper cables to connect the 2 batteries. Also would you set the charge on 2 10 or 50 volts to charge.

I appreciate your advise.
dlasseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
dlasseter
Not Yet Wild

MLJ427 can you tell me how to use a basic charger, i assume that I need to charge 1 battery at a time but one of the post said to do 2x2. Also what amp would I use 2-6 12 or higher.
Thanks for any guidance
dlasseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #14
mlj427
Gone Wild

I am definitely not a expert but from reading on here. Golf cart batteries are normally 6 volts each so if you charge 2 that are hooked up together it would equal 12 volts like a normal car charger. If you look at your batteries they are connected positive to the cart then negative from that battery goes to the positive of the next battery all the way around. the last negative goes to the cart and the voltage adds up to usually 36 or 48 volts. So if you connect from the positive of the first battery to the negative of the second and charge them up then move on to the next set till you have charged each set. Then the regular charger should work. If you have a charger that works on 6 volts just do them individually. Make sure the plates are covered with water before you start.

6 volt batteries have 3 fill holes and 8 volt have 4 holes.

Hopefully someone with more experience can jump in and fill in any blanks.

Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:12 AM   #15
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

Make sure the dpi has a shut off. I have a star cart, same issue. The charger was left in the cart in weather. I plugged it in and seen the bigg genie!!!! I went with a lesner 3 with a auto shut off installed. I installed my pigtail off the old charger. Never looked back!

I installed new batteries when I bought the cart. I got about 2 charges out them before the old charger smoked.

I went with the transformer charger because u can fix them if they go bad. Most of the time it's not the transformer that goes bad in them. But yes the transformers do go out,but not frequent.Them digital ones R junk I tell u! If somthing goes wrong there is no fixing, no hope, no love!
I do know them chargers need to see a certain voltage to kick on. In no charger is present try charging two at a time for a couple of min with a 12v charger to see if u can get the charger to kick on. Please do not leave cart unattended while on charge.
uwantsumofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:29 AM   #16
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

Use a car charger. 12v would b fine for two 8 volts. Take two batteries. Run in series.Take one of your battery wires and run a jumper wire from the pos of the first battery to the negitive of the second battery. Take your 12v charger negitive (black) leed and go to the open neg terminal on the first battery, and your charger postive (red) to your open positive terminal on your second battery. Try not to do this for long. Only long enough to get some juice in the batteries.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:42 AM   #17
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

If u leave them in the cart, pull the negive off the battery that goes to controller, count 2 batteries. On the second battery pull the postive terminal off the second battery that runs to the negitive of your third battery. Make sure the only wire connected to the two batteries is the jumper wire. Hook your 12v charger up to the open terminals.repeat with the other 2 sets.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay