lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
rocknreel9
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger light issue

Have a Yamaha G29 electric cart. Charger is the thin Yamaha battery charger with fan on the back. When I plug in the charger to cart, all indicator lights will light up, then green light comes on indicating full charge. When I put in run mode and turn key, the battery indicator in the dash is flashing low. All started after adding distilled water to batteries this week. Batteries are only 2.5 years old. Getting volt meter to check today. Any ideas?
rocknreel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Charger light issue

i have had to reset meter before
disconnect meter from pack , wait 5 min reconnect
Old 09-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #3
rocknreel9
Not Yet Wild

So volt meter says all batteries at 12.8 V. Display meter still blinking. I ran the card today for a few miles and ran fine, charging now and appears to be working. Any ideas?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

With 51.2 volts in set, either a bad meter or bad wire connections.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

To get the truth. Drive the cart for a minute or so, then put on charger. Monitor with meter attached to whole battery pack. Note highest voltage achieved before charger shuts off. Post results here. The meter needs to achieve a certain voltage before it will reset (that voltage is identified by the part number on the meter). Also, if the gauge was installed by yamaha, or on the wires provided in the wire harness for meter, resetting the tow/run switch will reset the meter.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
rocknreel9
Not Yet Wild

Having same issue again. Charger immediately goes to green light indicating batteries are charged though guage says low. Volt meter with 46.7V across 4 batteries. Individual batteries are 12.1v,12.0v, 10.6v, 11.7v. Thoughts?
Old 02-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
cgtech

Yamaha

That seems to be not charging. Wall outlet power good? Might open the charger to check the condition of the connectors where they plug into the charger board, i have seen problems there. Otherwise, that charger is not really "user servicable", and no parts are available. If you find that the charger is bad, dont get another of those, get a DPI instead.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Those chargers are somewhat failure prone. I have taken one apart and it's the four large capacitors that fail. (bulging and venting) I have fixed one by replacing them.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
cgtech

Yamaha

The other failure is the (proprietary) logic chip goes haywire & causes mosfet suicide. Or thats what the rebuilder told me. Rebuilds were too close to the same price as a new (better) charger, so no more rebuilds. This was before FSIP offered that charger rebuilt, but i still would get a different charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha