lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 AM   #1
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Default Need advice on picking up a G1? possibly cheap?

So I found this on the wonderful CL last night. Emailed the guy and he says that it need batteries and it comes with the charger. Asking $300 and I only have the few pictures that were on CL to go from. A quick search on the net and I believe it to be a G1 model? The guy did say that it is a 36V cart. Is this a junk model and I should stay clear of? Possible good deal? Is there anyway that I can test the cart/charger without having a 36 volt pack to take with me? I have an ezgo txt and know enough to be dangerous, but have not really done any work to it except swap batteries.

Pics attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-09-24-07-12-35.jpg (41.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-09-24-07-12-39.jpg (30.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2015-09-24-07-12-46.jpg (28.2 KB, 0 views)
g.schucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Need advice on picking up a G1? possibly cheap?

IT looks pretty beat to me. No roof or windshield. Unless you plan to spend serious $$ on upgrading, I wouldn't touch it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
IT looks pretty beat to me. No roof or windshield. Unless you plan to spend serious $$ on upgrading, I wouldn't touch it.
Not sure what I would really even do with it. Just randomly found it on the interwebs and thought it might be something to look at. Could just use it around the farm maybe. Not too concerned with a top or windshield if that is what it would be used for. There is another guy that has blemish interstate 6 and 12 volts for $60 a piece. If it truly only needed batteries it could be a running cart for under $700.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Going to look at it today. Sounds like it still drives, it just needs batteries and comes with the charger. guess I will try to make sure the frame is not rusted out, anything else I should look out for?

g.schucks
Old 09-28-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Well for $225 I hope I did ok... I think the cart looks pretty cool just because of the older design. I looked under the rear bumper this morning to try to find a serial number (one site I found said the G1 should have it listed there) but I didn't see anything. I will get it off the ground and take a better look soon. Can anyone confirm that is where I should find my S/N? Is there any literature/manuals/exploded view out there about the setup in these carts that I can read? This has some crazy old school throttle where it sweeps from one wire to the next as the throttle is pressed farther and then that is wired to some crazy big coil.... Reminds me of the little electric track cars I had as a kid.

Initially it looks like the batteries are dry... They have swelled as well, but I think I am going to try to fill them back up, wire two together in series to get 12V and put on a trickle charge at 2A with my automotive charger to see if anything will hold. They are probably dead, but if I can get them to do anything that would be a win. If not I think I will swap the pack out of my 36V TXT ez go to see what I get. I was told that the charger kicks on when plugged in, so that is a big plus. Hopefully just the batteries are the issue and initially that looks to be the case. Does anyone know how I would verify that this charger works correctly? Cart has some surface rust underneath, but nothing crazy, overall I think it looks in great shape considering the age. (that I am not 100% yet!)

Not sure what I want to do with it yet. Could fab a small bed on the back and just use it around the farm. It could be a nice replacement for an older John Deere gator that does not like to start in the winter. Might get a mild lift to get some bigger/knobby tire on for traction to make it to the barn if that is the case. Might just get it running and turn around and sell it if it would sell for a good price running. Who knows...

Anyone know any good reliable resources for this older cart that I could read up on to learn how it works?

Let me know what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150927_174819.jpg (291.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150927_174833.jpg (281.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20150927_174841.jpg (309.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
cre73
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I think you did fine as long as batteries is all you end up having to put in it. Where are you located?
cre73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #7
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I wouldn't waste time on dry swelled batteries. Junk them and move on.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre73 View Post
I think you did fine as long as batteries is all you end up having to put in it. Where are you located?
Louisville, KY
Old 09-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #9
g.schucks
Not Yet Wild

Anyone know how to read these serial numbers? From the spreadsheet I found it looks like I am missing the first part? Or am I reading it correct that this is a EM4 (1984) or EM5 (1985)? I read 36-00400...

Still looking to see if anyone has any electronic manuals or good reads on the inner workings of these cool old carts?

Thanks guys,
g.schucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YamahaSN.jpg (450.1 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha