lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Difference between PDS and TXT48 ?

Can anyone explain the difference between an EZGO PDS cart and an EZGO TXT48 cart?

So after my 36V PDS cart caught on fire, I replaced it with what I thought was a 48V PDS cart. It has the tow/run toggle on controller cover and the fwd/rev switch on dash. The guy how sold it to me thought it was PDS....and so did I.

After ordering an Alltrax XCT package from ScottyB, I noticed the plastic molex connectors won't fit the new controller. ScottyB helped me realize I don't have a PDS cart, but a TXT48 cart which uses the same controller as a Club Car IQ. He is letting me swap controllers.

My question: Is a TXT48 better, worse, or the same as PDS? Should I be any more concerned about putting and Alltrax XCT 500 (limited to 400A in software) on the stock motor?

Thanks for any clarification. Some photos of labels are attached.
controller lable.JPG
ezgo label.JPG
mattadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Difference between PDS and TXT48 ?

it's in your signature so it must be a PDS

i did not know there was a txt48
Quote:
In 2010, E-Z-GO announced the next generation of this classic vehicle. The E-Z-GO TXT 48 updates the proven TXT platform and incorporates some of the most innovative technology available.
The E-Z-GO TXT 48 now comes with a 48-volt DC drivetrain and exclusive TruCourse Technology system that allows operators an exceptional degree of freedom in tailoring the vehicle’s performance to match the conditions.
The 48-volt DC drivetrain gives this vehicle a 10 percent greater energy efficiency over the previous 36-volt model.
interested in the responses you will get
Old 10-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is how I think of it:

GM=Textron
Chevrolet=EZGO
Impala=TXT

TXT is a body style of golf cart introduced in 1996 with little or no change to the chassis (steering rack moved to the axle in 2001) or body until 2014-2015 when a new body was introduced and it isn't much different.

PDS (precision drive system) introduced in 2000 and revised in 2001. Just means sepex motor/controller. (series motored carts where also available to about 2008 or 09.)

In 2010 EZGO switched to 48v for the TXT. Both 36v and 48v carts where produced in 2010.

About this time they dropped PDS in favor of PDSII. So, different controllers that could be programed at the dealer. The "speed chips" (jumpers) where dropped. Again, just buzz words for a sepex motor/controller combo.

PDSII was dropped sometime (a year or two ago maybe) and now the buzz word is "true course". Just means programable controller for "steep hill, mild hill or coastal". Coastal is now the top speed (19.6 mph).

All TXT's are now 48v. I have driven them. Noticeably more power than the old 36volters.

I think it is a better cart because of the 48v drive train.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattadata View Post
1. Can anyone explain the difference between an EZGO PDS cart and an EZGO TXT48 cart?
<snip>
2. My question: Is a TXT48 better, worse, or the same as PDS?

3. Should I be any more concerned about putting and Alltrax XCT 500 (limited to 400A in software) on the stock motor?
<snip>
1. Same body, but different drive system:
a. Different voltage battery pack.
b. Different controller.
c. Different control wiring harness.
d. Different motor. (I'm not 100% sure on the motor, but strongly suspect it.)

2. The 36V PDS was probably a little better that the 48V OEM version. The published stock performance is about the same, so EZGO might have used a less robust motor to get about the same performance at a higher voltage. I'm just speculating, so check out the model number on the motor.

3. No, if the TXTE-48 is in fact a Curtis 1264, it is a 400A controller. (The Curtis 1206HB is a 250A controller).

You can adjust the RPM limit on the XCT, so your cart ought to be faster than it was when stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtis 1206HB.jpg (63.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Curtis 1264.jpg (131.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 10-19-2015 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: added attachments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #5
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
3. No, if the TXTE-48 is in fact a Curtis 1264, it is a 400A controller. (The Curtis 1206HB is a 250A controller).
My TXTE-48 has a Curtis 1206HB.

I will dig in and find the label on the motor. As Crash Test Dummy said, time to change my sig line....
Old 10-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Well in the other questions department. Does the new 48TXT motor have the same field map as the old PDS carts ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
mattadata
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is the motor label. Any concerns?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445283188.334490.jpg
Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

They have had 48v txt's for quite a while with the 1264 400a (usually stretch, work vehicles). Now that they are all 48v the "common" fleet/ptv 19mph model uses the 1206.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Well in the other questions department. Does the new 48TXT motor have the same field map as the old PDS carts ?
No. This is a different drive system
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

They are both Sepex correct ? I mean DCS and PDS had different field maps and with the DCX Alltrax the correct field map mattered. I guess with the 1268 Curtis you really didn't have a field map but you have the ability to change those parameters instead of just applying a map.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO