lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
skipsmith521
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default LED bar wiring

I am going to mount a LED light bar on my txt.

I have a separate 12 Volt battery and fuse block.

The LED is a 72 watt bar.

1) what size gauge wires
2) I need an on off switch that I will mount down by my legs next to FR lever on DCS cart. I want just a simple switch, are these switches rated by amps?
3) I have an existing switch in the same place for my front and rear lights. Can I tie into that switch and run all the lights? Can you over load a switch?

Thx

Skip

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
skipsmith521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: LED bar wiring

How long of a run is the power wire going to the bar? you should be okay with 12awg probably wouldn't go much smaller. Can you upload a pic of the switch? you should be fine but its hard to say without at least seeing it. Is it a rocker/toggle/ or plunger switch?
bsikes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:18 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

72 Watts at 12 Volts is 6 Amps. You need a switch rated for at least 6 Amps. Your existing switch needs to be rated for it's current load plus 6 amps. (Probably ok) You can tie into your existing switch if it's rated for the extra current draw.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Yea most of the standard auto part store switches are rated for like 20/25 amp. That said if your existing lights are halogen they can pull a s-load.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Use Ohm's Law to figure out the amps. 72W / 12V = 6A.

1. See attached chart. Note the wire lengths are total length to and from the light. IE: From the switch, through the 12V accessory and then back to the negative pole on the battery or the common tie point for B-.

2. Yes, they are rated by amps. They are also rated by Volts, but as long as the voltage rating is 12V or higher, it'll be okay for 12V use.

3. Yes, but the existing switch can be overloaded. Measure or calculate how many amps the other lights use and what the amps rating of the existing switch is. You might consider replacing the existing switch with a larger ampacity one, if you want to control all the lights with one switch. And then add a switych to the output of that switch to just control the lightbar if it isn't used all the time to other lights are on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg (519.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:18 PM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would suggest not tying into your driving lights, not because of the switch ratings but just because a 72w led bar is a lot of light and can easily blind on coming traffic or someone riding in front of you so you may need your driving lights without the light bar on.
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #7
bsikes09
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm with Hypersprint on that one. A lot of municipalities will even write you a ticket for driving with the new LED bars on.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:05 PM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It's where you aim it that determines if it will be a problem for oncoming drivers.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO