lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Gonna build a sparky this time

Just picked up this little jewel a couple of weeks ago. It has been sitting for over two years that I know of. It was missing a key switch, coil, tow switch, batteries were bad, and the ITS was bad. I have managed to get her running again and it rides out pretty good. I wanted to know what my options are for this cart. I would like to go with a 22 or 23 inch tire with a 12 inch rim and a small lift. I will make the lift myself. I am in the process of redoing the wires to 4 gauge wires. The cart is a 48 volt cart with eight, six volt batteries that are newish. The controller is a Curtis 1268-5411 400 amp. I replaced the solenoid with a stock 48 volt 200 amp solenoid. On my phones GPS Im hitting 16mph on stock tires. I plugged my programmer, ( Curtis 1311 ) into the controller and I can see all the inputs but I can not make any changes in the programs the way I can with the RXV carts.

My questions are can the controller be programmed differently with a different hand held? It has a "red wire" freedom chip in it but it travels the same speed with or with out it. should I bother with gears to speed it up or will the 22 in tires speed it up? Im only looking for low 20s mph.

Thanks for your help. First time messing with electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160615_121120.jpg (224.3 KB, 0 views)
Beaner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
mutant
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gonna build a sparky this time

i would throw an alltrax controller in it-i assume you have a PDS cart?
mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
Clemsoncartguy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yea that's a pds from the sound of it
Clemsoncartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:20 AM   #4
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think the guy at ezgo tech said it was a PDS plus. Not sure what the plus is about.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:12 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A nice looking project. I like it. If the control has the 24 pin main plug there is no Alltrax controller to fit this cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
A nice looking project. I like it. If the control has the 24 pin main plug there is no Alltrax controller to fit this cart.
You hit the nail on the head, its got the 24 pin main plug. Are there any options to replacing this controller or is this controller worthy since it rated at 400 amps already?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I can't really answer that question because we don't have that drive system in our R&D fleet or a control to fit that cart we have no data collected on it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #8
mjroman20
Gone Wild

That sounds like a 1264-5407? Possibly a 1268-5411? The two are *almost* a drop in replacement. FSIP has a kit for a 500A upgrade from the 400A 1264/68. Some extra current would help compensate the larger tires if you size up. Or if you feel like messing around with doing some re-wiring you could go with a 600A Curtis 1244. It has a different pinout and would need an ITS converter or switched to a pot, but it would have all the IOs you would need and have the same footprint.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #9
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjroman20 View Post
That sounds like a 1264-5407? Possibly a 1268-5411? The two are *almost* a drop in replacement. FSIP has a kit for a 500A upgrade from the 400A 1264/68. Some extra current would help compensate the larger tires if you size up. Or if you feel like messing around with doing some re-wiring you could go with a 600A Curtis 1244. It has a different pinout and would need an ITS converter or switched to a pot, but it would have all the IOs you would need and have the same footprint.
The controller is a 1268-5411. I was just reading on the Curtis site that it is programmable but I guess not with the handheld I have. What is the difference between the ITS and a pot? And what are the IOs? And I am not against rewiring the pins if there is an advantage going with a different controller.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:22 AM   #10
mjroman20
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner913 View Post
The controller is a 1268-5411. I was just reading on the Curtis site that it is programmable but I guess not with the handheld I have. What is the difference between the ITS and a pot? And what are the IOs? And I am not against rewiring the pins if there is an advantage going with a different controller.
It is programmable with a handset...it just needs to be OEM level. 1313 or 1311-4401 handhelds will work. As for the throttle types; the supply voltages and input reading circuitry is different between each model. A -5411 is an ITS type and 5403 would be a 0~5v (or pot type). The two aren't interchangeable without hardware and software adjustments.

Manuals with pinouts many of the Curtis controls are available here.
http://www.fsip.biz/CurtisManuals.html

The 1244 is going to be the same deal though..you need the same handset. So in that thought your best going with the 1268-5502 unless you really want 600A instead of 500. If you do go through FSIP they can adjust it for whichever motor you want to use if you don't have access to an OEM handset.

On a side note, you mentioned the speed between each personality plug mode was the same? The info I have shows that the EZGO factory default settings between the two modes are 14 and 7mph max. Both with a 6A min field. The speed allowance values are adjustable with user level handset.
mjroman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO