lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #1
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default trigger wire

Here goes another dumb question.
Can someone explain the trigger wire coming off a voltage reducer, what it's for. Still working on 2008 precedent.

Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: trigger wire

If it is like the one I had on my previous cart, it was just a wire routed to the key switch or a switch of your choice to "trigger" it or cut it on. I think on mine it was a yellow wire. I do not remember the manufacturer name... And note, this was an aftermarket reducer installed on a CC DS
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you install a reducer, you really should set it up with the trigger wire or at least a toggle switch.
Even when you have nothing turned on, the reducer is "working" and it will be a parasitic drain on your pack even when it is sitting.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:27 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

To my knowledge the three wire reducer has a relay built in hence the trigger wire energises the relay to turn on the reducer. It's the same effect as having a two wire reducer and operating it through a separate relay.

Sergio, or someone else with more expert knowledge please correct me if that is wrong.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #5
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks all.
Now for some more things I don't understand. I have a four wire reducer 2 of the wires are for 48 volt input and 2 for the output. Am I wrong in my thinking that the 2 output wires are (one neg and one pos)? If so am I braking the the 12 volts using the yellow wire and the green wire is the only wire that has 12 volt on it?
Sorry men just trying to get all this in my mind.

Thanks
Sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
Thanks all.
Now for some more things I don't understand. I have a four wire reducer 2 of the wires are for 48 volt input and 2 for the output. Am I wrong in my thinking that the 2 output wires are (one neg and one pos)? If so am I braking the the 12 volts using the yellow wire and the green wire is the only wire that has 12 volt on it?
Sorry men just trying to get all this in my mind.

Thanks
Sonny
I am not sure I fully understood your question, but it should look similar to this one. In this case, there is not a trigger wire and you would either run the white wire pictured thru a heavy duty toggle switch or if its going to your fuse box and all your devices are "switched" (radio, lights, etc.) you would be covered there, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltage reducer.jpg (65.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If he ran the switch on the fuse box side of the converter, wouldn't the converter still cause a parsitic drain on the pack?
Old 06-02-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
If he ran the switch on the fuse box side of the converter, wouldn't the converter still cause a parsitic drain on the pack?
It could if they had clocks and other low power draw devices, I just meant a "break" disabling its output. Mine on my DS is a four (4) wire type and since I had no trigger wire on the box, I ran a wire from my key switch and installed a relay. So now when I cut on my switch, I power up all my accessories.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I thought that the converters were always "on" when there was power to them causing a drain.
That's why people install the trigger to the key.

Where is sergio when you need him!!!

Paging Sergio, Sergio, clean up aisle 1...
Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
I thought that the converters were always "on" when there was power to them causing a drain.
That's why people install the trigger to the key.

Where is sergio when you need him!!!

Paging Sergio, Sergio, clean up aisle 1...
You are correct, the box would still be on as you have energy input to it, but it can not go anywhere if there is no output. I'm not sure of the energy calculation for it sitting dormant, but in my case it would be minimal with the relay "breaking" the output going to my fuse panel.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car