lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-2018, 01:11 AM   #1
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default 1990 DS Steering Wheel

Going to replace the steering wheel on a 1990 DS. I have read nightmare stories about how difficult they can be to remove.

Here is my question. Some sellers of the type wheel I want, say the wheel (and adapter) fit 1984 and up and some say 1992 and up.

How can it be both? Some say additional tools needed for the older style.

Thought I would ask around a bit before I buy. Thanks!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #2
peteywhit
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1990 DS Steering Wheel

I haven’t bought one yet, but I did remove mine yesterday on my 90 DS. It wasn’t impossible, but it was pretty tough.

I removed the nut with no problems, just using a hand ratchet and socket.

After that I took a dead blow and started hitting the back of the steering wheel with no luck, so I sprayed the splines down with some liquid wrench and let it sit.

After a few hours, I took a 2x4 block and laid against the back of the steering wheel and hit it with the dead blow. It tore chunks out of the 2x4.

I went to Advance Auto and grabbed a steering wheel puller. Came home and put it on and it didn’t work. The reason it didn’t work is because of the way the steering wheel is designed. It has that bevel towards the bottom of the steering wheel and has a smaller diameter than the middle diameter. This prevents the small little hooks from reaching around behind the steering wheel and getting a good grab. It just started digging out some of the plastic as I tightened up on it.

I got frustrated and let it sit a little while longer before coming back to it. This time I was mad at it, lol and just started whooping the s*** out of the back of the wheel repeatedly without much time between swings and it popped right off.

So, basically I pulled outward on the wheel to keep tension on it because I noticed that with every hit, it would spring back down. As I kept tension, I hit it with a jackhammer action and it slid right off.

Hope this helps you get yours removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
peteywhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

It DEFINITELY can be impossible. Trust me[emoji52] Have a grinder handy...

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I do not recall a difference in the '82 and '84, but call David if he does not respond as he could look it up for you.

I guess I have been lucky, I have never had one that would not come off. I remove the nut to the last couple of threads, I reach inside and grab the inner part of the wheel, then I forcefully jerk it up towards my chest as I am standing over it. It has worked every-time and once and a while took some penetrating oil to soak over night.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...lly-stuck.html

Old 10-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I've done the same as Nole.

Turn the nut to be flush with the end of the spline without any threads showing, whack it with a dead blow hammer a couple of times, spray it down with penetrating oil, whack it a couple more times and then force the steering wheel off using my knees behind the wheel with feet on the dash and pulling up with my hands.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Thanks for the removal help, I'm sure I will need it when the time comes.

I suppose my question should have been: How could some fit all DS models, and some 91 and prior, and some fit only 92 and newer?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

In ‘92 they switched to a plastic steering wheel with a clipboard instead of the three spoke style. They are interchangeable though from ‘82 all the way up till the newer DS’s as far as I know.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeL View Post
In ‘92 they switched to a plastic steering wheel with a clipboard instead of the three spoke style. They are interchangeable though from ‘82 all the way up till the newer DS’s as far as I know.

That's what I thought. If they are the same spline, why the distinction?

I don't want to order something that won't work.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I put an older 3 spoke steering wheel on a newer column. Fit perfect. Removing a newer steering wheel from my carts original ross box column was easy, after the usual tricks failed, cut the column below the wheel and put it in the press. According to the gauge on the press, at about 15 tons it parted company from the shaft with a bang.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car