lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #1
berniealan578
Not Yet Wild

Default Unknown issue on 98 ezgo

I have a 98 model Ezgo TXT Series with an issue. When it is fully charged it seems to do well for about 1/4 mile. After that it refuses to climb the slightest hill and only vibrates. As you let off the accelerator, it seems to have a little more power, but still not enough to make it up. Four of the six batteries test out as good, while two test out as being only weak. I have taken the motor off and cleaned all the carbon deposits out and have found no other visible problems, brushes seem to be in good condition as well as all the other internal parts. Not sure if it's merely a battery issue, or if there's another problem elsewhere. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

berniealan578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Unknown issue on 98 ezgo

Sounds like a battery issue. What are the voltages of each battery? How old are they?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:04 AM   #3
berniealan578
Not Yet Wild

No idea on bsttery age. Four batteries test at 6 volts, and the other two show about 5.5 volts under a load. I just bought this cart about three months ago and it's my first golf cart. Since I bought it, it has definitely gotten worse. I drive it about 1/2 mile each day down to my mother's house and back. On the way back I climb a slight hill that rises about 15' over about 100' in distance. When I first bought it, it would make that trip about twice before having to charge it. Now, it won't make that trip at all without having to take that hill at an angle. Also, it seems to have a slight bit more power in reverse if that means anything, but still won't make that hill. Also, it has a LED battery meter with about 8 green lights and that short trip causes the battery meter to drop by one light. If I run it around a level part of the yard, and that meter drops by two lights, it barely moves at all.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:05 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sounds like your batteries are shot. It also sounds like they were well on the way out when you bought it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:13 AM   #5
berniealan578
Not Yet Wild

That's a good possibility but I got it cheap enough to do a little work to it and still have a good deal. Just don't want to spend unnecessary money. Plan on changing out those two weak batteries asap, but I live in a small town where everything has to be ordered. I thought the motor could also be getting weak since it is 20+ years old, but it looked to be in pretty good shape and the cart as a whole looks very well kept.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:13 AM   #6
Sideways
Gone Wild

From all the advice others have given on this site, it is better to replace all of the batteries at once vs replacing 1 or 2. The older batteries will reduce the life of the newer batteries.
Post a picture of the top of your batteries, someone is liable to find a date code and be able to tell you how old they are.
I have also attached a state of charge chart to compare with your overall pack charge as well as each battery's charge.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The SOC chart posted is to be used 12 hours after a charge completes. You should also check voltage on each battery while driving uphill. If you absolutely have to change two batteries now, try and find used batteries the same age, make, and amp-hrs, even if you have to drive some.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
berniealan578
Not Yet Wild

Looks like one of the batteries has a date of Aug/06 on it and all are reconditioned by NAPA. These batteries only run the drive motor. It has lights and a wench on the front, but they run off an auxiliary 12volt battery.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #9
berniealan578
Not Yet Wild

Being retired and living on a fixed income, I'll have to replace all batteries at two per month.

Old 10-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Batts are April, 2014. They are about used up. Mixing any new batteries in with 4 year old batteries is throwing away your money. The new batteries will be getting damaged and lowered to the level of the others from day 1. I think you should really try to find some used golf cart batteries to mix in, or just bite the bullet and get a whole set.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO