lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #1
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

Default Slow cart

Hey all,
I got a 99 ez go txt series with a 6 pin controller. My problem is cart only goes 6 mph with new batteries. I checked all connections, unhooked orange wire for reverse , have 37 volts everywhere I suppose to have it. All the cables are cool to the touch after riding down street, however the solenoid is a lot warmer than any other connection. I just put a new ITS on it too. Could s solenoid be faulty and still work? Only thing I can think of. Any help would be appreciated.
Crusher803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2018, 08:35 AM   #2
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Slow cart

i ordered a new solenoid and now waiting for it to come, i am also gonna adjust the ITS with a 17/64 drill bit. i replaced the ITS so it might be out of adjustment. i been researching on here trying to find out why i am having this problem.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The first thing I'd do is fully charge those new batteries, 37V is less than 70% charged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (63.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply. I have charged them a few times until the charger cut off, but i will keep charging them every day until i get to 38V's.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher803 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have charged them a few times until the charger cut off, but i will keep charging them every day until i get to 38V's.
If the charger was working right, they would already be at 38.2V or more since they are new.

What make/model charger?
What make/model batteries?

You mentioned charging them a few times until the charger cuts off. A properly functioning 36V golf cart battery charger doesn't shut off automatically until the On-Charge voltage climbs to about 45V. Some of the later technologies don't shut off until the On-Charge voltage stops climbing and may exceed 50V for a 36V pack.

The voltages listed in the SoC chart I posted are what the battery pack should read 12 hours after the charger shuts off.

----------
The problem might not be the charger itself, it could be the charging circuit. Excessive resistance within the cables and connections of the charging circuit can make the charger see an erroneously high On-Charge voltage and shut the charger off prematurely.

-------------
I've got some Honey-Do stuff to take care of, but will be back this evening.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:35 PM   #6
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

They are 2018 I month US Batteries, the charger is an older power wise that seems to work fine. i'll check the voltage on the pack when i get off work today and see what they are without charger and then with charger charging.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

I have 37.8 volts at pack when I came home today with no charging overnight. I hopped on it with no charging and it only ran 5 mph. I adjusted the ITS switch and that made no difference in speed, only made the solenoid more touchy. It is jerking too when pressing down pedal slightly. I let batteries charge for like 4 hrs today and the charger cut off. It still only ran 5 mph.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Older Powerwise chargers were designed to charge Trojan brand batteries and US Battery batteries have different charging requirement.

Attached are a SoC vs Voltage chart for US Battery FLA batteries, charging instructions and a tech note pertaining to chronic undercharging of their batteries.

I suspect you have a Powerwise 28115 charger (picture attached)
If so, when operating within its design specs, it shuts off when the On-Charge voltage climbs into the 45V +/-1V range. (44V to 46V). If your charger shuts off before reaching 45V or above, it will not fully charge US Battery brand batteries.

------------
When the charger first turns on, what does the ammeter climb to?
After it has been charging for about two hours what the On-Charge voltage and what has the ammeter decreased to?

------------
What is the battery pack voltage when cart is at top speed on level ground?

----------
You might have more than one problem, but the undercharged batteries is waving the red flag the loudest at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USBatterySOCtable.jpg (107.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf usb-charging-recommendations.pdf (2.33 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #9
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

I do have that charger. I think batteries are full because I measured almost 39 volts after the charger cut off. I jacked up cart to do some testing and now the cart won’t go at all, all it does is click. I got 1.6 volts at white white, 13.7 at black, and 38-39 volts everywhere else. I toook f/r switch out and cleaned it but didn’t get a chance to put it back in tonight. Can’t pull an amp draw now. I ohmed all the wires out and they homing out good, I bypassed little 4 prong plug under controller the other day to fix one problem(white wire at controller didn’t have voltage).
Old 10-31-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Crusher803
Not Yet Wild

When I plug in charger it goes up to about 15 amps for about a min then comes down to about 8 and steady drops to cut off after about 45 mins.

Tags
ez go series txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO