lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #1
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Adding 12v fuse block to 2014 RXV

Greetings all. New here and new to electric carts. My 48v RXV is arriving today and knowing that she will be accessorized, i was thinking that it would be good idea to add a 12v fuse block. I've also read of folks frying their controllers with these "simple" mods.

I don't need it to be keyed to the switch as I'll tie it into a switch bank for control of each. My thought would be to tie into a single 12v battery from the series to the fuse block. Seems straightforward... should i be in Tow mode, with discharged capacitor? Not 100% clear on avoiding a spike to the controller.

Just running a sanity check before i touch anything.

Cheers, Binski
Binski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Adding 12v fuse block to 2014 RXV

I would suggest against using one of the batteries to get 12V. First, it will imbalance the pack and cause damage over time and second, the RXV is incredibly sensitive to voltage. The far better option would be to get a 48 to 12V reducer. Scottyb has great deals and is a site sponsor here. His customer service is second to none as well. Here is a link to his site http://www.cartsunlimited.net/12v-reducers.html
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
Flyingarmy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

As stated above only take 12V with a 48V to 12V converter or use a separate 12V battery to run your accessories. And by no means, even breathe near your 48V system or you risk frying your controller (hard lesson learned). I am running an AMP, USB/Voltmeter, LEDs and main lights from my 12V system. Running a relay, but just switched ot make sure I don't inadvertently run the battery down.
Flyingarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, so there should be no issue going from 48v (+ &-) terminals to step down reducer to 12v fuseblock.

Sound right?

Thx!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you want 12V and there is no included 48V to 12V reducer, get one. Run that 12V output to your new fuse block and you are GTG.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

So the plan currently is to draw 48v into reducer (with pigtail for 48v DVM), then 12v to 6 fuse block. 12v switched circuits will be for 12v DVM, USB, dash pocket lights, rear aux lights, and headlights/tail lights (non-switched), and one spare.

Additionally, with my turn signal setup, i am constantly leaving them on without knowing it. I'm going to add two LED indicators in the dash as "repeaters" - visual indicator that the turn signal is on.

Wondering if i should switch the 48v DVM
Old 12-02-2018, 05:53 PM   #7
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the panel idea that i came up with. I had a voltage reducer on hand to start wth, though only 20a.

Will tie into the 48v series, I'll pull six individual 12v circuits from the fuse block to the dash panel or where needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3838.jpg (170.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Nice and clean. Just curious, what’s the connection there where it’s marked 48v?
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #9
Binski
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
Nice and clean. Just curious, what’s the connection there where it’s marked 48v?
Orangeman - those are the leads that will be tied into my cart's 48v system (EZGO RXV). Just a simple screw down bus connection.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #10
Buggieman18
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Your setup is GTG. Now it's a matter of choosing to have it constant ON via by hooking to the batterties or have it switched on/off by hooking + to the terminal at the solenoid. Do not attempt to hook it to the dash on/off switch.
Buggieman18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO