lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 PM   #1
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Default Trials and Tribulations - Motor Field Failure

Oooops I did it again...

Hit a bump hard and am pretty sure that my A2 cable hit my F2 cable and now I am getting a motor field failure in forward - cart runs in reverse ok.

Is the controller shot or can this be fixed?

I am getting zero current on J8 terminal - J7 gets full current.

I just can't win people!!!
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Trials and Tribulations - Motor Field Failure

Since cart runs in reverse, I suspect the controller's MOSFETs that feed the field windings in forward bit the dust.

----------
I'm not sure how you are measuring the amp flow at J7 and J8, which are F1 and F2 respectively, but in forward amps will flow out of one of them and back into the other while the opposite is true when in reverse.

---------
The bad news is: Alltrax is probably closed until Monday and you need to call them to get some suggestions for troubleshooting the XCT field circuit.

The good news is: You can swap the F1 and F2 cables at the controller (or at the motor, but not both places) and the cart will run forward, but not reverse. It'll be slow if you have the reverse speed turned down, but you can crank that up with Toolkit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Thanks johnnie - I did the swap to get forward, running much slower then before, but I cleared all settings to try to ‘fix’ the fault / am going to have to play with settings again.

Of course this happened on t day, but I need to learn some patience anyway.

Using a volt meter to test j8 and j9.

Would full 48 volts from A1 running into J9 short out the controller?

Have a feeling I’ll be buying a new controller now, 24 hours after paying $400 to fix my motor

This freaking addiction,,,
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dela View Post
Thanks johnnie - I did the swap to get forward, running much slower then before, but I cleared all settings to try to ‘fix’ the fault / am going to have to play with settings again.

Of course this happened on t day, but I need to learn some patience anyway.

1. Using a volt meter to test j8 and j9.

2. Would full 48 volts from A1 running into J9 short out the controller?

3. Have a feeling I’ll be buying a new controller now, 24 hours after paying $400 to fix my motor

4. This freaking addiction,,,
1. So you are measuring voltage rather than current (amps). Measure from F1 to F2 with your voltmeter. When the controller is functioning normally, you will measure positive voltage when F/R switch is in one direction and negative voltage when the F/R switch is in the other direction.

2. Probably not, since the two points are connected with a length of 2Ga cable. (See attached schematic)

3. From the symptoms, I suspect you are right, but it hasn't been proven one way or the other yet.

4. Carts is only one of my addictions, cameras, Cadillacs and handguns are another three.

-----------
Forgot the attachment. Added
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT in TXT 48V.jpg (240.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 11-22-2018 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: forgot attachment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO