lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #21
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stuck brake drum - how much heat?

And get some new axles, bearings, and seals.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2018, 10:13 AM   #22
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
COOSA, the guys have covered all the ways to get that sucker off the axel that I can think of.....but I want to add one more thing.....but its something to consider doing when you go back together with everything and that is ensure that you put some "ANTI-SEIZE" on both axel's to ensure this NEVER happens again, EVER.
This is what's used in most refineries, it's amazing what it will do. I've seen bolts on exchangers almost rusted through in the middle but on the ends under the nuts where this was used looked brand new. Some places even require it to be used as a thread sealant on plugs and screw pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/Never-Seez-NS.../dp/B00G9A3TEE
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 AM   #23
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A little heat and a bigger puller.

You'd be surprised how effective even propane can be at getting stuff like that to loosen up.
BTW, those parts store rental tools are junk. Have seen plenty those things break or strip threads with minimal effort. Take it back and just say it broke.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #24
coosa
Gone Wild

I already have some anti-sieze to put on it, but I've gotta get it off first. Despite about 40% of the splines being exposed, nothing will get it off. I shimed the bad threads on the puller and tried it again, didn't move.

I am gonna cut a third slot in it and hope it breaks cleanly this time. That's a sure 30 minutes of hard work, so it may be next week before I have time to try it. The pictures of the one still attached to the axle were frightening for sure; guess I haven't won the prize yet.

The thing is that I had decent brakes on this side and could have left it alone. The other side had no braking power at all, so it was dangerous without fixing it. Too late to decide to let it go now, but I don't think I have ruined the axle or the hub yet. I am trying to avoid ruining anything else.

This cart was on a golf course it's first year, then an elderly gentleman used it around his farm about 10 years. He passed and it sat in a field for a year before I bought it. I doubt that anyone ever took the brake drum off before.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #25
Sideways
Gone Wild

Do you have access to a air hammer or air chisel?
Either one along with heat should be quicker finishing it off vs grinding.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
A little heat and a bigger puller.

You'd be surprised how effective even propane can be at getting stuff like that to loosen up.
BTW, those parts store rental tools are junk. Have seen plenty those things break or strip threads with minimal effort. Take it back and just say it broke.
The only bigger puller they had was a 3 jaw thing that was too thick to grab the drum. The problem I had with this one was that the end of the bolt was pointed, and the end of the axle is hollow, so I had to avoid splitting the axle. I tried several things to protect it, but something always gave way, and it never was the brake drum. I used a 6' pull handle and put a tremendous amount of pressure on it. I already had the idea that it was welded on, but I don't see how that would be possible.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #27
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Do you have access to a air hammer or air chisel?
Either one along with heat should be quicker finishing it off vs grinding.
I don't have anything like that. I have been accused on here before of doing all my work with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

I do have an oxy-acetylene cutting torch, but I don't have much confidence in my ability to use it without destroying the bearings. If someone could explain to me how to cut it off with the cutting torch without ruining anything else I would give it a try.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #28
bobbycason
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosa View Post
I don't have anything like that. I have been accused on here before of doing all my work with an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver.

I do have an oxy-acetylene cutting torch, but I don't have much confidence in my ability to use it without destroying the bearings. If someone could explain to me how to cut it off with the cutting torch without ruining anything else I would give it a try.
I wouldn't try cutting it off with the torch, you'll probably end up having to replace the axle too if you do. You could use that torch to heat up the hub area on the remaining drum until its cherry red and something is bound to give then, just keep the heat focused on the drum and not so much on the axle. As ScottyB said you probably want to go ahead and do the bearings and seals while you've got it this far anyway. If it went that long with no one taking the drum off I doubt the bearings have ever seen any kind of service.
bobbycason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
coosa
Gone Wild

I decided to try to finish it today, and a third slot got it off. I don't know if the axel is gonna be usable or not. The splines are really rusty, and have some damage to them. The new drum would not go on, but I think I can do a little work on it with a triangular file and get it on.

If I can't, I guess I will be back on here next week begging for info on how to replace the axle. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Be sure to torque the axle nut 90-140 ft pounds when putting the cotter pin in. The anti-seize will help take up slop in the mauled splines but nothing will save the new drum if the axle nut is not torqued to 100 ft pounds. GL
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO