lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM   #41
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Default Re: Using reverse for downhill brake assist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
If the hill is steep, and it doesn't matter if your on dirt or asphalt, then using "just" the factory rear drum brakes may not hold your cart. But again......"IF" the hill is steep.

When my cart had just the factory drum brakes it would not stop in the middle of a steep downhill....let alone hold the cart there. That's why I installed front disc brakes. Much better stopping power and holding on steep hills are not a problem.
I don't necessarily HAVE to be able to stop in middle of downhill (would be nice), but surely hope to have a SLOW/controlled descent. MOST of the hills have 'sections' that are real steep, not really the whole length of the hill.

It appears for me to have front brakes I would have to go with the Jake Hyd disc brake. Although I got the car for $3K, I am pushing having 6K in it now due to my mistakes/errors and ignorance My Lynx has the Z lift from factory and not sure what it would take in addition to the Jake brake to make it work and I really am not wanting to spend any more on it.

I have no plans on selling it, but if I did I suspect I would take a beating on the deal
BigOL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #42
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOL3 View Post
Not talking about 'gorilla' mode, but rather gently/lightly. When going down steep hills with limited brakes, will light use of the accelarator in reverse to slow cart, cause damage to HD torque motor or rearend?
The only type of motor that I am aware of that can take that kind of abuse is a series motor that is equipped for "plug braking". I won't try to explain it but you can read about it in the attached Alltrax technical note.

The second page of the Alltrax note does say:

"WARNING: Switching between forward and reverse without an interlock or plug brake on a series motor can permanently damage the controller, motor or operator and cause a catastrophic failure in the controller"

Plug Braking.pdf
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #43
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
The only type of motor that I am aware of that can take that kind of abuse is a series motor that is equipped for "plug braking". I won't try to explain it but you can read about it in the attached Alltrax technical note.

The second page of the Alltrax note does say:

"WARNING: Switching between forward and reverse without an interlock or plug brake on a series motor can permanently damage the controller, motor or operator and cause a catastrophic failure in the controller"

Attachment 180369
I was NOT "switching" between gears. Rather while stopped at hilltop, before releasing Brake, it was put in 'R', brake released, then accelerator gentley pressed down as to cause it to slow/stop while going downhill. It IS a series motor.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #44
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unless You have an Altrax SPB model (it has an extra terminal for A2), your Controller cannot do plug brake (SR and SPM do not have plug brake).

Regardless if you switch the FNR while moving or while stopped, a controller without the A2 terminal properly wired cannot regulate the current around the Armature and the Motor Armature will lock if power is applied and you try to move the cart in the opposite direction of the current flow.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #45
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Thanks. No longer using that method. Back home from the hills and have adjusted brakes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2019, 05:39 AM   #46
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
DIYgolfcart.com has a listing for 1986 and up Limited slip for CCs. Listing shows out of stock and there are no reviews on it. Wonder if that is a discontinued product I have heard about before? Maybe they just have not removed the listing. Might be worth a call. I'd be interested to hear.
Not sure if you are still looking into limited slip. I ran across a post in another thread, by w4rwf, and noticed his sig said he had limited slip on a Club Car. I messaged them and they gave me this link.

http://www.renegadedistributing.com/...rive-kits.html

It specifies being for 96 and newer CCs, but I think that is just for the entire four wheel drive system. However, I do not know if that is the case. The reason I say that, is that I swapped my original 92 rear end for a 2014 rear end, and it was a direct fit, no alterations needed at all.

Quite pricey, but if you want it...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #47
BigOL3
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Not sure if you are still looking into limited slip. I ran across a post in another thread, by w4rwf, and noticed his sig said he had limited slip on a Club Car. I messaged them and they gave me this link.

http://www.renegadedistributing.com/...rive-kits.html

It specifies being for 96 and newer CCs, but I think that is just for the entire four wheel drive system. However, I do not know if that is the case. The reason I say that, is that I swapped my original 92 rear end for a 2014 rear end, and it was a direct fit, no alterations needed at all.

Quite pricey, but if you want it...
Somewhere along my searching, I had seen that. I liked the concept but NOT the price That design seems to be a lot like the electric Innovator SxS. I was not really looking for 4wd unless it had been cheap, but may check to see if they sell JUST the rearend ..... which I doubt.

Just saw the price for the rearend ....... $1650 plus shipping ...... NOT!!!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #48
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Don't blame you there. Just figured I'd share the information. Too pricey for me right now too. Maybe once I get my acreage...
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #49
BigOL3
Gone Wild

It does seems to be a first rate piece. 2 spd axle AND limited slip, totally different design from what has previously been used. If I had not already WASTED nearly $1300 due to my mistakes/ignorance, I would jump on it!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car