lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
ScottB345
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Cable Upgrade for 2008 Club Car Precedent

I've been lurking for a little while but just got the gumption for my first post. I've poured through the threads and either I'm not adept enough at searching or my specific question hasn't been addressed (I'm assuming the former).

I recently picked up an early 2008 Club Car Precedent (four battery 48V) and I'm in the process of cleaning it up a bit and want to add a little more power. The plan is to upgrade the battery cables to 2 AWG, pick up a 400 amp controller and solenoid combo along with a pass through bolt for the OBC. If that's not enough, then I'll look to a bump in the motor (probably a Bandit to keep costs down).

Along with replacing the 6 AWG cables with 2 AWG (battery, motor, solenoid), are there any other of the smaller cables that need to be upgraded/replaced?

I'm looking to do most of the work myself, hence rolling my own cables (for fun) and any advice, product suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated. And yes, I plan on using the site sponsor/vendors.

Thanks!
ScottB345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Cable Upgrade for 2008 Club Car Precedent

Do Internet search watch all the videos you can find on making cables. Don't forget the main neg cable has to go through the obc but you cannot enlarge the hole. I like solder better than crimp.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
jethaulin
never finished

Club Car

just the 6awg wires need up graded (including the ones going to the controler). the little wieres going to the motor are good the way they are.

we were all first time posters at on time.
jethaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
ScottB345
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Do Internet search watch all the videos you can find on making cables. Don't forget the main neg cable has to go through the obc but you cannot enlarge the hole. I like solder better than crimp.
Thanks for the advice! And yep, I'm going to pick up a stud kit for the OBC when I order the controller.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
ScottB345
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethaulin View Post
just the 6awg wires need up graded (including the ones going to the controler). the little wieres going to the motor are good the way they are.

we were all first time posters at on time.
Thank you! Much appreciated!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:01 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB345 View Post
I've been lurking for a little while but just got the gumption for my first post. I've poured through the threads and either I'm not adept enough at searching or my specific question hasn't been addressed (I'm assuming the former).

I recently picked up an early 2008 Club Car Precedent (four battery 48V) and I'm in the process of cleaning it up a bit and want to add a little more power. The plan is to upgrade the battery cables to 2 AWG, pick up a 400 amp controller and solenoid combo along with a pass through bolt for the OBC. If that's not enough, then I'll look to a bump in the motor (probably a Bandit to keep costs down).

Along with replacing the 6 AWG cables with 2 AWG (battery, motor, solenoid), are there any other of the smaller cables that need to be upgraded/replaced?

I'm looking to do most of the work myself, hence rolling my own cables (for fun) and any advice, product suggestions, etc. is greatly appreciated. And yes, I plan on using the site sponsor/vendors.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned above, only the cables on the cart that are 6 gauge need to be replaced. These are the power delivery cables. The cable set needs to be a minimum of 4 gauge to use the 400 amp controller. It's a very good package and very reliable. I think you'd be very happy with it. Controllers can be setup prior to shipment for your specific application. If you decide to get the Bandit motor later, it's easy to change the field map in the controller with a Windows based PC. Field Map files are readily available and can be sent via email. If you're making your own cable set you won't need an OBC Stud kit or a compression terminal. Just put the wire through the hole in the OBC before you put the terminal on it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

When it comes time to replace your batteries you can look at the six 8volt conversions also. A few of us have done it and it is fairly easy. Should get you a little more run time.
NLaudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car