lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV throttle question

I just got my first cart, a 2016 RXV electric. The dealer has increased the top speed. I'm not sure how. The problem is the speed doesn't increase linearly as I press the accelerator, and at one point is surges. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the accelerator or if turning up the top speed is a factor. Any thoughts?
jkenprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2019, 02:06 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV throttle question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkenprice1 View Post
I just got my first cart, a 2016 RXV electric. The dealer has increased the top speed. I'm not sure how. The problem is the speed doesn't increase linearly as I press the accelerator, and at one point is surges. I'm wondering if there is a problem with the accelerator or if turning up the top speed is a factor. Any thoughts?
Grats on the RXV purchase. It is the best bang for the buck.

There is a right way to increase speed, and a wrong way... If a dealer goes in with an OEM handset or programming station and changes the RPM map, so that motor current starts ramping up at a lower RPM instead of the correct method of increasing top speed at a higher level, it will throw throttle linearity out the window. Where are you located?

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Hey Bob. Thanks for the reply.

I spent several hours on the forum yesterday. read several of your posts. I assume the dealer used one of the methods you mentioned. I thought about pulling of the controller and sending it to you, but I didn't know if there were other factors in play.

I'm located in central Florida, near Sebring
Old 01-24-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hey Bob. Thanks for the reply.

I spent several hours on the forum yesterday. read several of your posts. I assume the dealer used one of the methods you mentioned. I thought about pulling of the controller and sending it to you, but I didn't know if there were other factors in play.

I'm located in central Florida, near Sebring
I'll be coming through Florida in a couple of weeks if you want to wait, otherwise you can mail it and I can fix it and mail it back. The advantage of doing it in person, you can test drive it and we can get it dialed in to your liking.

Bob
Old 01-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

If it's not programming related, surging could be a battery falling out or a bad throttle encoder (in the pedal group). How hot is the brake after a ride? could also be dragging.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
If it's not programming related, surging could be a battery falling out or a bad throttle encoder (in the pedal group). How hot is the brake after a ride? could also be dragging.
He's dealing with non-linearity of the throttle. It could be a bad throttle encoder, but more likely it's due to someone changing the default base value in the motor current map in an attempt to speed the cart up.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The last two i dealt with experiencing that symptom were tossing random 'throttle wiper' errors. Worst case the car would come to a literal screeching halt.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #8
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
The last two i dealt with experiencing that symptom were tossing random 'throttle wiper' errors. Worst case the car would come to a literal screeching halt.
Well, this problem existed after the dealer went into the controller to speed it up. As you know, dealers, even those with OEM handsets, cannot access the settings in an RXV controller to raise the RPM limit at the highest level, so they are limited in what they can do. There is no defined throttle linearity parameter accessable to dealer or OEM, so that leaves the only other parameter that can be changed that can do this... The motor current calibration base value. It will literally cause a current boost to give a sudden surge in accel once the motor reaches that setting. It is a value that should NEVER be changed. There are other, higher level menus, that are where these things are to be done. Changing that calibration value can cause damage to the motor, the controller, or both!
Old 01-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #9
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It would be awesome to have you stop by. I'd be glad to wait a couple weeks.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
It would be awesome to have you stop by. I'd be glad to wait a couple weeks.
It'll be worth the wait. You'll be suprised what the RXV can do with the right programming. Send me a PM (Private Message) with your contact info in a few days. You'll probably be able to by then.

Bob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO