lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2019, 09:34 PM   #11
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 04 Precedent Front End

I just retired my 4x12 US Battery "Reds" and they got 10 full years with good maintenance and casual driving/usage. That was with an OBC, today's smart chargers are better.

I would look at US, Trojan, and Crowns and wherever I got the best deal I would purchase. You will be buying on of the 3 best manufactures out there.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #12
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It has the blue US now. It has been rode a total of 20 mins and battery light has already came on. That was after a full charge yesterday. I did let it sit all night and today till we got home. Son rode for about 10 mins light comes and started slowing down. Is there anything that can be done to save these?
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:26 PM   #13
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also will I need to upgrade the charger with the new batteries? It’s a club car power drive 2 charger.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #14
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
It has the blue US now. It has been rode a total of 20 mins and battery light has already came on. That was after a full charge yesterday. I did let it sit all night and today till we got home. Son rode for about 10 mins light comes and started slowing down. Is there anything that can be done to save these?
Check overall pack voltage 12 hours after a charge has completed. You should be 50.93 volts. If it is not there, check all the water levels to be 1/4"-1/2" above the plates, then disconnect the pack negative for 20 mins and then reconnect and do another charge. That is resetting the OBC.

Here are the US Red's I was referring too. https://www.usbattery.com/products/1.../us-12vrx-xc2/ Different cover options are at the bottom of the page...
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Also will I need to upgrade the charger with the new batteries? It’s a club car power drive 2 charger.
I would be a hypopocrit if I said you did since I just got 10 years with my PD3 and OBC (and have several on PD's and OBC's), but I can say a new smart charger like the Summit Lester II will give you a better charge, a faster charge, and make your pack last even longer over the years as its algorithm will be specifically tailored to your batteries in comparison to the OBC in your cart has a generic algorithm from many years ago. Batteries have evolved a lot since your cart rolled out the factory..
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 PM   #16
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

[QUOTE=NoleFan4Ever;1585971]Check overall pack voltage 12 hours after a charge has completed. You should be 50.93 volts. If it is not there, check all the water levels to be 1/4"-1/2" above the plates, then disconnect the pack negative for 20 mins and then reconnect and do another charge. That is resetting the OBC.

Thanks I will try this tomorrow. Sorry to keep persisting with the questions. I don’t know the terms OBC? Pd? If I’m going to spend $1000 on batteries should I look into lithium? I do not want to do anything to where I have to upgrade controller or motor. I will be running 23” tires but not worried about speed, this is just for cruising neighborhood and property.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:00 AM   #17
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

OBC is On Board Computer which is the device on your cart that controls your PD (Powerdrive) charger. That is not a stand-alone charger, it is just a big transformer for charging your batteries and is completely controlled by the OBC.

It has nothing to do with your Motor or Controller.

You should be able to get new batteries for no more than $200/ea. They are around $185 the last time I checked in my area....
Old 02-09-2019, 12:09 AM   #18
Night Train
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

If I upgrade charger will I need to upgrade the obc and PD?
Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #19
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
Lol! I am pretty good with shocks, albeit mine is more importantly designed with 70/30, 60/40, and 50/50 with multiple adjustments in between. What I was more so relaying too was the shocks on golf carts are a much different design in that of automotive and no where near will give the results an automotive shock will. Cart shocks just basically open and close at the same compression/extension rate (at least any I have opened up or broken off of the carts I have had and worked on). An automotive shock works in 2 complete cycles that are different by design. The compression cycle and the extension cycle.

The shock will have much more resistance during its extension cycle than its compression cycle. The compression cycle controls the motion of the vehicle's unsprung weight, while extension cycle controls the much heavier sprung weight. Automotive shocks today (and for many years now) are velocity sensitive to ensure the faster the suspension moves, the more resistance the shock provides. This enables shocks to adjust to road conditions and to control all of the unwanted motions that can occur in a moving vehicle, including bounce, suspension rolling, sway, brake dive, and acceleration squat. As you know, you can purchase many different type shocks for the same vehicle based on use or needs.
And you didn’t even mention temperature sensitive oils or weight compensating valves!
General principle is still the same. When it you right down to it, it’s still a piston in a tube.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
If I upgrade charger will I need to upgrade the obc and PD?
If you upgrade to a smart charger you can completely remove the OBC, as it is only needed to make the Powerdrive series charger work properly. No other type of charger uses or needs the OBC.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car