lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 AM   #1
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Default Conversion

Got a.cart in oct. 99 cc ds 48v. Tested batteries and if i remember right they showed around 50v. Fast forward to yesterday and they are showing 7.8 to 8.1 individually and 48.5. Think they r shot. Trying to wrap my head on as to what i need and reading threw some of the posts gets to be much. I found a leaf setup with charger on ebay for 1200, https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123486112701
Or volt setup
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223449420222

From what i can gather i need a low/high volt cutoff and a bms.

https://www.batteryspace.com/high-an...tery-pack.aspx

Says 2A, i dont think that is enough amp rating.

For the bms someone recommended zeva as it is user friendly.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Conversion

It does sound like your pack is going out. If you have it and want it, lithium is the way to go. Have a Leaf and a Volt, both are equally good packs, but the Volt yo can buy brand new and the Leafs are all recovery modules. The Leaf runs 58v and the Volt runs 50v. Just read around and research and you will see what is best for you. Only run a lithium pack with a BMS. Zeva is good, so is Orion. More are coming out into the market.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
It does sound like your pack is going out. If you have it and want it, lithium is the way to go. Have a Leaf and a Volt, both are equally good packs, but the Volt yo can buy brand new and the Leafs are all recovery modules. The Leaf runs 58v and the Volt runs 50v. Just read around and research and you will see what is best for you. Only run a lithium pack with a BMS. Zeva is good, so is Orion. More are coming out into the market.
If my obc **** the bed, do i need a new 1 for a lithium conversion. If i read right, no because the bcm takes place of the obc

Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmysstailights View Post
If my obc **** the bed, do i need a new 1 for a lithium conversion. If i read right, no because the bcm takes place of the obc

You are correct. With the Lithium conversion you won't need the OBC anymore. It was to function in concert with the original flooded battery charger.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #5
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Thats what i figured. Mine i think is done for and not gonna dump 300 when my batteries might have a yr or 2 left.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #6
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here are a couple things to consider for the conversion:

In my opinion, I think it would be best to decide what BMS you want to use before you buy anything. Or, at least before you get a charger. Some systems can utilize the CAN to communicate directly with a specific charger, but wont be able to communicate with other brand chargers.

I was unaware of all the ancillary things that would be needed/wanted. Such as ANL fuse holder, cable lugs, appropriate various sized and types of wires/cables, terminal junction blocks, etc. These things do add up cost wise.

There are a number of different ways to put the system together. Here are a couple things you want to decide how you want to do:

For HV/LV cutoff, you can either utilize a contactor or relays. Using a contactor is a bit simpler in my opinion, but costs more. Using relays is less expensive, but a bit more complex in setting up (At least for an electrical novice like myself).

You can utilize a shunt or hall effect sensor. Using the shunt is less expensive, but requires more terminals.

I'm sure I have forgotten a thing or two. More folks will chime in with things to consider. I would suggest making a list of the things you want/think you are going to get. Then post on this thread and that way we can all look it over and see if there is anything to add, subtract, swap out with something else, etc.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #7
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
Here are a couple things to consider for the conversion:

In my opinion, I think it would be best to decide what BMS you want to use before you buy anything. Or, at least before you get a charger. Some systems can utilize the CAN to communicate directly with a specific charger, but wont be able to communicate with other brand chargers.

I was unaware of all the ancillary things that would be needed/wanted. Such as ANL fuse holder, cable lugs, appropriate various sized and types of wires/cables, terminal junction blocks, etc. These things do add up cost wise.

There are a number of different ways to put the system together. Here are a couple things you want to decide how you want to do:

For HV/LV cutoff, you can either utilize a contactor or relays. Using a contactor is a bit simpler in my opinion, but costs more. Using relays is less expensive, but a bit more complex in setting up (At least for an electrical novice like myself).

You can utilize a shunt or hall effect sensor. Using the shunt is less expensive, but requires more terminals.

I'm sure I have forgotten a thing or two. More folks will chime in with things to consider. I would suggest making a list of the things you want/think you are going to get. Then post on this thread and that way we can all look it over and see if there is anything to add, subtract, swap out with something else, etc.
Thank u. I was looking at 12v lithium batteries as a drop in a few options i have

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car