lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
Talonracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 04 txt seems to take a long time to charge

hey guys I have an 04 ezgo txt 36v have not had it long last owner put all new duracell batteries in it problem is it seems to take forever to charge even though when i check pack voltage its around 36v powerwise charger turns on jumps to 15 amps never more than 15 amp meter drops but even if i only rode it for 5 minutes or so charger runs for hours is this normal if not what should I check thanks guys
Talonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 04 txt seems to take a long time to charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonracer View Post
hey guys I have an 04 ezgo txt 36v have not had it long last owner put all new duracell batteries in it problem is it seems to take forever to charge even though when i check pack voltage its around 36v powerwise charger turns on jumps to 15 amps never more than 15 amp meter drops but even if i only rode it for 5 minutes or so charger runs for hours is this normal if not what should I check thanks guys
You’ll need to post some exact voltages for guys to help. If you look at the chart I posted, you can see that “around 36v” can mean a lot of different things. Put your meter on the pack before you charge it the next time you’ve driven it a bit. Post the voltage to the second decimal (6.xx) and watch the charger when it kicks on, and as it does it’s thing. You’re going to need to watch and take some notes on how many amps and how long the charger puts out. Note the pack voltage when the charger first shuts off, then 10-12 after that, once the pack has settled.

Are you sure the batteries are new? What’s the date code on them? There’s a good chance you have a battery problem and not a charger problem. You can post some info to help you with that too. Take a reading of your pack 10-12 hrs after a full charge. Hook your meter to the pack and drive up a good hill where the cart is working hard. Note the pack voltage as you’re going up the hill. You may have to repeat this for each battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E2FDA037-166C-48B1-BDE8-C6098B7B9C1A.jpeg (127.1 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 PM   #3
Talonracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Got some time today to mess with the cart a little ok so I let the charger run till it shut off a couple days ago haven't touched it since took it out for 2 miles checked pack voltage it was at 38.0v connected charger at 7:55 PM at 11:35 PM charger was still running I ended up disconnecting it didn't want to leave it on while I was sleeping checked pack right after disconnecting it was 41.2v this does not sound right to me I know the batteries were fairly new they are dated 9/18 they are Duracell batteries 20 AH cap 105 min@75amps I feel this is a charger issue thank you I really do appreciate the help
Old 04-10-2019, 12:27 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I bet your charger has a capacitor that is "drifting out of normal range". It would also explain why amps never goes over 15a. Unfortunately, it's near impossible for the average guy to test for a "drifting out of range" one, a "totally failed" one is easy for the home gamer to catch with a average volt meter. There are cheap meters available to test it more accurately with only one button press. But they would cost 2/3 as much as the capacitor you are checking to see if it needs replacing. It would give you a good number, like 6,102 for a good cap that should read 6mfd.(6mfd is 6,000 Microfarads). Seen many chargers take forever to charge to still "not fully charge", and less amp output than expected due to a bad cap. There are specific voltage readings you could take in the charger (outlined in the charger test procedures available by model of charger on this site), but they are voltages well above 120v AC, and can knock the living crap out of you.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #5
Talonracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Is it unsafe to use the charger if this is the problem or is it just an annoyance thanks for the great info and quick response
Old 04-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

A set of batteries is a sizable chunk of money for most of us, so properly operating charger is a good investment and your charger doesn't appear to be operating properly.

Sounds like you have a Powerwise 28115 charger (picture attached)

Also attached is how to check if the capacitor is out of range as well as the service manual for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text.JPG (176.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
R.Boyd
Getting Wild

Did you have the 38 volts after charging and after sitting for a couple of days or was that after sitting for a couple of days and having driven it for 2 miles? You typed one long run-on sentence and it's hard to read.

Also, you need to measure the pack voltage (total voltage of all six batteries) after it's been charging a while and is still charging. That charger won't shut off till the back voltage gets to around 45 volts. Also, from 7:00 till 11:00 is a reasonable amount of time to still be running. If I just run mine a mile or so and plug it in, it will run for several hours before shutting off. I have the same charger.
R.Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I'm still waitin' for him to finish his sentence. Have't seen a period yet.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Talonracer
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

So for the run on sentance grammar is not one of my strong points. It is a powerwise 2 charger does not look like the one in the picture. The 38v was after sitting and driving the 2 miles.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here's the manual for a Lester-II, which is the same as a PW-II except for the window dressing.

Note: The capacitor will be either 3µF or 4µF depending on serial number. (Value and S# identified in parts list at end of manual)

Troubleshooting in manual is pretty good.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 35827_A1.pdf (1.59 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO