lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Rlemon
Not Yet Wild

Default Wires getting hot, melting plastic. 1991 club car.

Recently picked up a 91 electric club car 36 V. Bought it for something to run around the yard mostly. After more than just a few minutes of use, these wires are getting very hot to the point of smoking.
I’m decent with small engines, but know very little about electric motors. I’ve read dozens of threads and coming up empty.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
See picture. It seems to mainly be the one circled, but I see signs of heat on the others
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2FCEB99-FAF6-49BC-A7FF-1C346C82AE9C.jpg (24.0 KB, 0 views)
Rlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Wires getting hot, melting plastic. 1991 club car.

You can search around on here for wiring diagrams, or maybe someone who already has one will offer a link. I have one for a 92 DS, but I don't know if that is the same as a 91. If someone confirms that it's the same, I can send it to you.

Until then, I would suggest going through and cleaning up all the connections of your wires and cables. Looks like it has been a while since someone went through and cleaned up the corrosion and dirt. That is definitely not helping. Replace any wires that have signs of over heating and/or corrosion within the sheathing.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yeah, your cart is almost certainly wired right or else it wouldn't run or something would have melting out by now. The most common cause of too much heat it from current being dissipated in wiring / components rather than into the speed of the cart. Think about what would happen if you parked your cart against a wall and hit the accelerator. Things would get real hot real fast.....but not for very long. All the heat from the current would melt everything inside due to not getting transferred to moving motor and wheels.

Clean things up nice and shiny and I bet your heat issues go away.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
Rlemon
Not Yet Wild

Those are sensible suggestions, I appreciate it.
I will start there, with a good cleaning this weekend
Rlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car