lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
fstop
Gone Wild

Default 2020 Onward - thoughts on adding Alltrax + FSIP Speed motor?

So in narrowing down my choice between RXV and Onward, I was looking for feedback from folks who've upgraded the stock controller with an AllTrax XTC400 or XTC500 (same except for a fan?) and also added an FSIP Speed motor or similar.

So far I've been impressed with the ride quality (smooth and quiet, even with the 23" tires from ClubCar), but can't live with 19.6 mph.

Seems that the fix for that is the above combo, so I'm wondering what the downsides might be (range, any loss of torque, reliability, driveability, smooth accel / decel, etc...)

Thanks for any input on experiences good or bad. Or any other things to consider when considering this modification to a basically stock, lifted w/ 23" tires Onward 4 seater.

Thanks!
fstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 2020 Onward - thoughts on adding Alltrax + FSIP Speed motor?

I think it's a fabulous idea....

Nice talking to you earlier. There's a few folks on here who have this setup. I'm sure they'll chime in and give you their own personal results.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
I think it's a fabulous idea....

Nice talking to you earlier. There's a few folks on here who have this setup. I'm sure they'll chime in and give you their own personal results.
Thanks for all the info - a great help to have someone with specific experience provide some guidance.

One of my biggest questions (that I forgot to ask about) was impact on the range. Not range at WOT, but comparing stock range at normal stock speeds and typical driving to similar speeds and driving with the controller / motor combo. Obviously at higher speeds / amp draws the range will suffer, but more concerned with range impact with more conservative driving (like my wife driving it...)
Old 11-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Range varies according to your driving style. By adding a high performance motor and controller it allows you to drive more aggressively and accelerate faster. You're essentially adding more power in reserve than what you had before. Whether or not you want to use that extra power is up to you. You can drive the vehicle like a normal golf car and should be very comparable in range to what it was before. It's hard acceleration and aggressive driving that's really going to shorten your range. If you bought an FN-KS or an FN-KEY module to go with the controller and set up a profile similar to the stock feel of a golf car it would prohibit you from driving inefficiently. Then you'd be able to maintain pretty close to the same range you had before you modified it. With that being said, high performance motor and controller combos don't have to automatically equal bad range. If you get it done and you feel like it needs more range than what it has, there are heavier duty options for batteries that will really help with the total run-time of the cart. The basic stock Club Car PD+ batteries aren't the greatest in the world, but they're decent. A good set of Crown CR-190s or a set of Trojan T-890 (Or Trojan Ranger-160) batteries would make a substantial difference in your range.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have a 2011 Club Car Precedent that was stripped to the frame and rebuilt into a Limo by David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. I took David's advice and used the Alltrax 500 and FSIP speed motor. That setup is perfect. Even with the extra weight of the Limo, acceleration and speed (31-32 MPH) feels like I'm driving an electric car and not a golf cart. You mentioned the Alltrax 500 having a fan. That's exactly correct. The fan is very important and is a must in my opinion. The fan is quiet and I usually don't hear it when it kicks on. The FSIP motor is very torquey with smooth acceleration. Of course this is all adjustable to how you want it to perform. I also have a stock Club Car DS that I have owned for 8 years so I have a basis of comparison. I drive my cart around my neighborhood almost everyday. My runs are not usually that long so I can't give much feedback yet on range. I have been on some 8-10 mile runs however and could most likely go another 10 plus miles and still be above 50 percent SOC. I have not found that to be an issue. You will not be disappointed with that setup. I just saw David's post above. I had him install the Crown CR190 batteries for the extra amps they provide. Another good suggestion. Buy the right setup just once.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I have been on some 8-10 mile runs however and could most likely go another 10 plus miles and still be above 50 percent SOC. I have not found that to be an issue. You will not be disappointed with that setup.
To the OP: Note that this is with Crown CR-190 batteries. But also take into consideration that this car is a limo and is much heavier than a standard car. Performance and run-time of a non-stretched car with CR-165 batteries should yield similar results both in speed and range.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #7
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
I have a 2011 Club Car Precedent that was stripped to the frame and rebuilt into a Limo by David Hicks at Revolution Golf Cars. I took David's advice and used the Alltrax 500 and FSIP speed motor. That setup is perfect. Even with the extra weight of the Limo, acceleration and speed (31-32 MPH) feels like I'm driving an electric car and not a golf cart. You mentioned the Alltrax 500 having a fan. That's exactly correct. The fan is very important and is a must in my opinion. The fan is quiet and I usually don't hear it when it kicks on. The FSIP motor is very torquey with smooth acceleration. Of course this is all adjustable to how you want it to perform. I also have a stock Club Car DS that I have owned for 8 years so I have a basis of comparison. I drive my cart around my neighborhood almost everyday. My runs are not usually that long so I can't give much feedback yet on range. I have been on some 8-10 mile runs however and could most likely go another 10 plus miles and still be above 50 percent SOC. I have not found that to be an issue. You will not be disappointed with that setup. I just saw David's post above. I had him install the Crown CR190 batteries for the extra amps they provide. Another good suggestion. Buy the right setup just once.
Thanks for posting - this is very helpful.

The CR190 batteries - did you go with those for additional range or because they can hold voltage better under heavy amp-draw (wondering if standard ClubCar batteries would produce substantially slower cart speeds as a result of less amp delivery at speed...)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
noserider
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post

The CR190 batteries - did you go with those for additional range or because they can hold voltage better under heavy amp-draw (wondering if standard ClubCar batteries would produce substantially slower cart speeds as a result of less amp delivery at speed...)
The CR190 batteries were used to help extend the range. They may or may not have been needed for my use but the extra cost over a Trojan was not enough to NOT buy them for peace of mind having a little more battery reserve if needed.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
fstop
Gone Wild

Quote:
The CR190 batteries were used to help extend the range. They may or may not have been needed for my use but the extra cost over a Trojan was not enough to NOT buy them for peace of mind having a little more battery reserve if needed.
10-4

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop View Post

I like using a heavier duty battery in my limo builds simply because the carts are heavier and require more energy to run them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car