lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2020, 12:23 AM   #11
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Why are folks opposed to regen braking? Downside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I'm not a big fan of it either. Probably mostly because of what FT said, I'm not used to it. I don't use it on my carts but all the electric carts on the golf courses have it. I hate the way the carts start braking when you let off the go pedal.

Does anybody know how much this actually helps charge the batteries? I suspect not much.
Mooncarter, if you just come off the Go pedal slowly you have absolute control over the deceleration, you can even coast if you want to.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2020, 01:22 AM   #12
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
Mooncarter, if you just come off the Go pedal slowly you have absolute control over the deceleration, you can even coast if you want to.
Bruce you know I can't do anything moderately, or the way it is supposed to be done.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:05 AM   #13
Hkspwrsche
Gone Wild

Club Car

Talking Re: Why are folks opposed to regen braking? Downside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Can anyone explain how regen braking can stop both wheels on an open differential. I saw a cart go down a 45% slope around a curve on wet black top the regen kicked in and the cart slide around into lucky the upper side in the hill. Without regen he could have released the brakes an controlled the cart.

I like the roll away braking, but not the regen. That's my thoughts.
Sounds like you just need to drive it like a Porsche 911 and don’t lift mid turn unless you intend to loosen the rear grip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BE90A0E3-303F-4524-B4DE-F6EFD279CED4.jpeg (76.9 KB, 0 views)
Hkspwrsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkspwrsche View Post
Sounds like you just need to drive it like a Porsche 911 and don’t lift mid turn unless you intend to loosen the rear grip?
I was not the driver. It was a dumb golfer at my home course. The club had the regen reset to mild after that the guy said he took his foot off the peddle to apply brakes and it went into a spin. I was behind him and he didn't have time to apply brakes from what I observed. He went off the hill too fast to start with, but if the wheel had not started spinning backwards I think he could have controlled it. We all got a big laugh afterward.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #15
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If a wheel were to stop turning, there would not be any force applied to the Motor, no current being generated and therefore no Regen brake.

I don't doubt You saw a guy drive too fast and lose control, but Regen brake had nothing to do with it, it is not possible for the motor to offer resistance if it is not being "forced" to turn.

I have been using Regen brake for a long time and built many interfaces for it, from activating the brake light during pedal up Regen (previous system) to only activating the Regen brake when I press the brake pedal (current system).
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #16
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If the regen brake kicked in, and he hit the brake pedal at the same time, on wet asphalt, down hill, yeah it could easily lock the wheels and put him in a slide.
Personal experience maybe...

Lots of factors going into that, but on wet asphalt, at speed, and probably worn tires...
The rear axle is the only braking, and in that case, hitting the brakes at all (especially too late as many people tend to do) would probably put the cart into a spin.
Personally, yes I have had regen slow the rotation of a wheel enough to make the wheel lose traction. Difference here was I did it on purpose because I wanted to know how the cart would behave on our hills here, and see if the regen braking would need to be adjusted to prevent a loss of traction condition on wet steep hills (which we have a lot of).
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:43 AM   #17
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Well what ever. I just must be stupid.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Well what ever. I just must be stupid.
I'm with stupid. I sail down a dirt road at 20-23mph turn the wheel, let off the gas, and crank the FN2 regen dial up and the cart looses traction and slides into a controlled turn.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

For the wheel to stop the motor shaft has to stop and if it did there would be 0 force holding the motor.

The Regen brake intensity is adjustable by the Controller and it can monitor Voltage, current and movement of the wheels to a fraction of a turn and it cannot lock the wheel.

Are you saying Your cart is sliding on a straight line with the wheels locked or just sliding when you go around the turn too fast for the available traction?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

A wheel doesn't have to stop to lose traction with the driving surface. The motor may not totally lock the wheel, but there is the possibility it applies enough decelerating force to slow the rotation.
An uneven friction co-efficient from one side to the other (wet leaves under one tire) will allow one tire to stop spinning, or possibly reverse direction while the other tire continues spinning the same as it was. And the motor will not stop spinning during that event.

The same goes for accelerating on a slippery surface. One wheel with traction, one wheel without traction. A vehicle can roll backwards down hill while trying to go forward. The output of the motor is turning forward, but one wheel can be going backwards if the traction loss of the other wheel is great enough.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car