lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Quick ‘99 AA or slow ‘02 AQ ?

My current project keeper is an 02 AQ, bone stock, older batteries and slow. Left outside, so it’s tired looking, but it was cheap and a blank canvas. The same place I got my precedent from has a mechanic with a ‘99 AA that I suspect he got to flip. He claims it does 25, but has no idea of mods. Says the motor has no external indicators of what it may be, and the controller is hidden and not easily accessible. Cart is super clean, has the extended roof and is even the color I want (red). His asking price is significant for an unknown build. Assuming that the controller at least was swapped to get to that speed, are there other advantages of the AQ cart for technology? Future plans were to do a controller and perhaps a motor down the line. To get the red cart would likely cost 7-800 on top of selling the AQ. Thoughts?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Quick ‘99 AA or slow ‘02 AQ ?

Everyone will have their own thoughts and opinions obviously. Ive had several series carts and recently got my first iq, a 2008 DS. If I had to choose between thr two, id take the iq in a heartbeat and put that $700-800 into modifying the AQ to make it what you want. At least you'll know how it's built and do it your way, being primary reason.

But aside from that, the IQ does SOOO much better up hills. My last series had an Admiral motor, alltrax controller, and heap of other stuff. Yes it would do nearly 30mph... on flat ground. Point it at a hill and that drops pretty quick. Point it up a steep hill my gas carts will actually accelerate going up, the series (48v) would drop from 30mph to 16-17mph. It was a very steep hill, but still.

My IQ stock would run 14mph regardless of flat, hill, pavement, or grass. I just put a speed magnet in it from revolution golf cars last night ans it bumped it up to 20mph, otherwise 100% stock. I only went on a short drive so havent really tried any big hills or anything yet but given stock vs stock behavior on a series vs IQ cart, id take the IQ any day.

Ill be curious to hear what others have to say also
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Funny you should mention the magnet, I attempted to install mine from Revolution last night! Gonna get some paint can lid pry tools and try again.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Jake_Daddy
Gone Wild

Club Car

That series cart may not have a new controller but I am sure it has a new motor to get those speeds, even with a new controller it wouldn't make a series motor spin any faster. South Florida you wont have to worry about hills so that's a plus and extended roofs and body work can get expensive. I think your decision comes to performance if your gonna want more than what that AA is currently capable of your gonna spend the same money (if not more) that what that AQ can do for you.
Jake_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I’m happy with 25, I just wish I knew if it was straining or not. Part of my issue is that I don’t know the ability difference between a series and IQ cart. I don’t know what I need to do to get my IQ to 25 either.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
Reddawg454
Grumpy Old Guy

Club Car

Getting the IQ to 25 should just be a controller, solenoid and wires swap.
Reddawg454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Double tap
Old 09-01-2020, 11:22 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Someone may have installed a 36v motor in it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
.... My IQ stock would run 14mph regardless of flat, hill, pavement, or grass. I just put a speed magnet in it from revolution golf cars last night ans it bumped it up to 20mph, otherwise 100% stock. I only went on a short drive so havent really tried any big hills or anything yet ....
My stock motor was rebuilt by Plum Quick and it comes with a speed magnet.
The mph increased around 3-4 mph on flat and hills.
A large increase came with the 400a Alltrax controller, about 8-9 mph over stock speeds.
With an Alltrax the speed magnet is ineffective, there is an option in the setup menus for 4 or 8 pole magnet which must be set properly.
If you ever get an Alltrax controller and keep the stock IQ motor find out which motor you have - GE or AMD.
The GE motor is good to 400a and the AMD can handle 500a.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

I have the GE in mine. Took me forever to get the stock magnet out, and I decided to wait til I have a fresh head tomorrow before trying to install the new one. Would have been easier to take the motor out I think.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car