lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #21
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 48v Club car DS IQ new XCT controller shuts off when KSI turned on

Looks like you may have a bad cable on battery 6 positive. The cable end looks burned where it goes into the crimp. If that crimp was overheated the cable will be damaged inside the crimp and cause a bad connection. Also hard to see but looks like corrosion around the crimp on the cable on battery 3 positive.
For what it’s worth those style cables are not the greatest for a golf cart application because those crimp ends do not handle prolonged current draw very well. You might be well off to order a cable kit specific for a golf cart and just ditch all of the current cables.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2020, 05:10 AM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2003 48v Club car DS IQ new XCT controller shuts off when KSI turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnkedwards View Post
Thanks Sergio. It’s got the grey stripe facing the B+ terminal. I did install it backwards originally. Could that have fried it without the solenoid ever closing contacts? It still hasn’t clicked once since I put her in there.
I am referring to the diode on the small blade terminals, not the diode on the big posts.

Just remove that small diode to see if the cart works.

Shorting anything on a DS key switch circuit is dangerous since it does not have a fuse and it will likely compromise one of the sonic-welds.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #23
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I am referring to the diode on the small blade terminals, not the diode on the big posts.

Just remove that small diode to see if the cart works.

Shorting anything on a DS key switch circuit is dangerous since it does not have a fuse and it will likely compromise one of the sonic-welds.
Ok I’ll give that a try. I really hope that didn’t compromise anything else. That diode came preinstalled. I think I’m just going to remove the SW180 and reinstall the SW80 that was in it originally to see if that fixes the issue first. Those small terminals are showing continuity across the 2 small terminals just fine. Thank you a ton for helping me ID the issue here. I’ll report back soon.
Bnkedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:46 AM   #24
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

You were right Sergio. The dang diode that came preinstalled is backwards. Do you think it could have jacked up the solenoid?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 95F527B4-4D05-4224-BC5E-343315CEE4F9.jpg (150.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:09 AM   #25
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so I removed the small diode and tested for continuity. It’s showing 76 ohms across them with the diode removed. Showing no continuity across them with the diode reinstalled correctly. Is this what it’s supposed to do? Should I try anything else before reinstalling it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5810787-1A57-410A-9320-7840F7D8C204.jpg (161.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg A3FC335D-D477-4FBC-BB67-9B9E64A23304.jpg (151.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:37 AM   #26
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That meter reading with the diode connected means there is a short or "0 ohms", a no continuity reading should be 0L or whatever your meter shows when the probes are not connected to anything.

The diode junction likely got shorted when you put the B- connection on that terminal.

The good news is that does not cause any damage to the Solenoid or Controller, so You can use the cart without the diode until you get a new diode.

The only possible issue is if the surge current caused when you created the short damaged the sonic-welds (a 1N400X type diode will take 30 amps of surge current), but if the cart works You may be fine.

When you get the new diode make sure the side with the band goes with the terminal You put the positive wire from the key switch, top or bottom makes no difference.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:46 AM   #27
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That meter reading with the diode connected means there is a short or "0 ohms", a no continuity reading should be 0L or whatever your meter shows when the probes are not connected to anything.

The diode junction likely got shorted when you put the B- connection on that terminal.

The good news is that does not cause any damage to the Solenoid or Controller, so You can use the cart without the diode until you get a new diode.

The only possible issue is if the surge current caused when you created the short damaged the sonic-welds (a 1N400X type diode will take 30 amps of surge current), but if the cart works You may be fine.

When you get the new diode make sure the side with the band goes with the terminal You put the positive wire from the key switch, top or bottom makes no difference.
Ok I’ll reinstall it without the diode and see what happens! Can I/should I install a resistor from another solenoid until I get a new diode in the mail?
Old 09-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #28
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You mean a diode?

If the diode from the old Solenoid is good it should work fine.

Just use the multimeter to test the diode, You should get low resistance with the probes in one direction and high resistance when you switch the meter probes around.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #29
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Well, it’s doing something different now. I took a video and uploaded it for you to see. At one point it stayed on for a few seconds straight, to allow me to depress the throttle. It gave me 3 clicks and shut off. Video is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXIIUmgp-Ic
Old 09-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #30
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

When I disconnect the usb to the controller, it will stay on and flash one green, one red light on the controller. I pressed the pedal and recorded to get a test of the solenoid engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iMLWmeRNKA

Tags
club car, ksi, xct500
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car