lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
rotus623
Not Yet Wild

Default Club car charger question

Hello folks. I have a question about the way my wires are hooked up from the charging circuit to the batteries.

I have an updated controller, solenoid, switch and battery/motor wires. Cart does great. What I have noticed is a lot of corrosion buildup on one particular battery post. It’s the one of the red secondary wires hooks into. It is circled in red in the picture.

When I have it hooked like this, electrolyte seems to boil off oil the batteries at the same rate and my batteries seem to all hold the same charge. I just want to make sure it’s hooked up right and see what this corrosion is all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38F69D10-8E4C-4CFE-97EF-D72C65565242.jpg (159.0 KB, 0 views)
rotus623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Red face Re: Club car charger question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotus623 View Post
Hello folks. I have a question about the way my wires are hooked up from the charging circuit to the batteries.
.... What I have noticed is a lot of corrosion buildup on one particular battery post. It’s the one of the red secondary wires hooks into. It is circled in red in the picture.

When I have it hooked like this, electrolyte seems to boil off oil the batteries at the same rate and my batteries seem to all hold the same charge. I just want to make sure it’s hooked up right and see what this corrosion is all about.
Is the small red wire that is on that post running a 16v to 12v voltage reducer?
That's where the one on my cart was connected.
If so, those 2 batteries are getting drained a bit more than the rest of the pack and after awhile will unbalance the pack.
You might consider getting a 48v to 12v voltage reducer.
It also looks like the small wire is below the large battery cable on the battery post.
The large battery cable connector should be at the bottom of the post to get the maximum contact area and not have high current going thru the small wire connector.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #3
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club car charger question

Also get some battery terminal protectant spray. Spray it on once all connections are made. It'll help minimize corrosion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 072691_1.jpg (78.7 KB, 0 views)
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
rotus623
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys. What is the deal with the reducer? I guess for the 12v lights to run off?

If so, why does the charger not work with that wire disconnected or dirty?
rotus623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What charger do you have? Brand and model number?
That red cable you circled should not have any effect on whether the charger works. You say the charge does not work when that cable is disconnected, that means the wiring for the charger is not connected properly. To help better I need to know exactly which charger you have.

Corrosion on only that terminal may be galvanic corrosion due to energy draw through that red cable. What is that red cable connected to? It’s common to have accessories draw 12v from two batteries but any energy being used from that cable will clause uneven draw from those batteries vs the rest of the pack. The corrosion there will likely be because of a content draw on that cable, but it could also be due to Acid leakage around that battery post, or higher gas production from that battery due to a lower charge level than the others.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Budule
Gone Wild

Club Car

no battery hold downs ?
Budule is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car