lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Mooney6959
Not Yet Wild

Default Middle School Class Project - Club Car DS 36v to48v Conversion

Good morning, All.

First time poster and fairly new to the golf cart community myself.

With all the kids in my community attending virtual school till further notice, a few parents in the community wanted to have some "elective" classes for the kids to take. One parent is doing art, another yoga... I decided I wanted to teach a Jr Mechanics class. Considering this isn't a class which is offered in most public schools anymore, and basic mechanics seems to be a lost art, I thought this would be a great opportunity to pass some knowledge down to the younger generations.

I would teach them about basic mechanics (bicycle maintenance, changing a car tire an oil, basic car maintenance, etc...). With this, I also decided I would pick up a class project which we would work on throughout the semester/year.

IMG_20200820_171839.jpg

That said, I found a '93 Club Car DS which was graciously donated from a member from a boating forum I'm on. When we received it, the cart wasn't running. This was precisely what I was looking for.

Since then, the kids have learned about batteries and voltage, how to troubleshoot the system using a voltmeter, and how to replace the problem (in this case, the key switch).

IMG_20200827_171445.jpg
IMG_20200827_172233.jpg

We have also torn down and completely replaced the rear brakes and even gotten the chance to drive it around a little.

IMG_20200910_164940.jpg
IMG_20200910_165654.jpg

The class is a hit all around, and I'm loving this opportunity as much as the kids are.

Now that the intro of what brought me here is complete, I had a series of questions I was hoping to get some help on. I know a lot are in stickies, and I've read a good few, but I wanted to see if I could have a thread specific to this class project.

So, the questions:

1. What is the difference between having 6x8v, 8x6v, or 4x12v batteries? The reason I'm asking is I need new batteries only bc these are old, but don't know that I can afford the 48v conversion yet as this class is entirely funded from my pocket.

2. If going to 6x8v batteries, does this limit me to anything? I ask this bc there was a headlight / signal kit I was looking at which specifies it must be 6v or 12v batteries.

3. What constitutes the need for a new charger? Is it single battery voltage or overall voltage? If I stay w\ 8x6v batteries, can I keep my existing charger? Again, thinking about my budget here.

4. Lastly; Where do you all find the best value for batteries?

This cart has a back seat and will be at full load most of the time. The cart will probably never be driven more than 3 miles in a day, but will always go uphill both ways.

I saw the C54 kit which seems to fit my need as it can be run in both 36v and 48v, and I do plan to keep the stock motor. I MAY send the motor out to PlumQuik for the Bandit upgrade, but only if needed.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
Mooney6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Middle School Class Project - Club Car DS 36v to48v Conversion

So, the questions:

Quote:
1. What is the difference between having 6x8v, 8x6v, or 4x12v batteries? The reason I'm asking is I need new batteries only bc these are old, but don't know that I can afford the 48v conversion yet as this class is entirely funded from my pocket.
The difference is range, 8x6v typically gives you the most AH (Amp-Hours) and 4x12v the least AH.

The 6x8v setup (170AH) is a good middle of the road and works for most cart use cases.

Quote:
2. If going to 6x8v batteries, does this limit me to anything? I ask this bc there was a headlight / signal kit I was looking at which specifies it must be 6v or 12v batteries.
No limitations as You should always use a DC-DC 48v->12v converter so the 12v accessories current is pulled from all batteries .

Quote:
3. What constitutes the need for a new charger? Is it single battery voltage or overall voltage? If I stay w\ 8x6v batteries, can I keep my existing charger? Again, thinking about my budget here.
You usually change chargers if you change the voltage (going from 36v to 48v) or if the original charger is bad.

As long as the new charger puts out 10 amps or more it will work fine.

Trickle chargers are not adequate in the long run to provide the proper bulk charge current needed by the golf cart batteries.

Quote:
4. Lastly; Where do you all find the best value for batteries?
Check with local golf cart shops or Craig's list.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Sergio did you mean 6 8 volts as middle of the road?

And Mooney this is a great project. The kids actually learn something about real situations in life and how to handle them. Where are you located?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Very cool; welcome to the page!!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I did mean 6x8v, just corrected the typo, thanks.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Good project for all of you.

to BGW.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #7
Mooney6959
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
And Mooney this is a great project. The kids actually learn something about real situations in life and how to handle them. Where are you located?
Thank you all for the welcomes.
I'm just West of Raleigh, NC.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #8
Mooney6959
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
So, the questions:

The difference is range, 8x6v typically gives you the most AH (Amp-Hours) and 4x12v the least AH.

The 6x8v setup (170AH) is a good middle of the road and works for most cart use cases.

No limitations as You should always use a DC-DC 48v->12v converter so the 12v accessories current is pulled from all batteries .

You usually change chargers if you change the voltage (going from 36v to 48v) or if the original charger is bad.

As long as the new charger puts out 10 amps or more it will work fine.

Trickle chargers are not adequate in the long run to provide the proper bulk charge current needed by the golf cart batteries.

Check with local golf cart shops or Craig's list.

Sergio,

Thank you very much for the explanations.

So since I would need a converter anyway to run 12v items, I guess I would want to lean away from 4x12v batteries then.

Trying to plan the "stages" of this upgrade, do you (or anybody here) think I would see a performance improvement going with the C54 package on CartsUnlimited if I were to install it with my current batteries at 36v? I would also change the battery cables to 2awg in anticipation for 48v.

I'm walking a balance between spending budget and not putting the cart before the horse here.

I do want to also install a lift and new wheels on the cart so the kids can learn about the geometry of it all and get to play with air tools.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It depends on what do you mean by "Performance Improvement".

A Solid state kit will not make the cart run faster or have more power.

All it does is provide a more granular and efficient way to deliver power to the motor during partial throttle operation.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
Mooney6959
Not Yet Wild

Well that certainly puts a different perspective on it then.

The cart runs fine today as far as power management to the motor. So I guess the only thing I would be doing by changing to solid state at this moment would be preparing the cart for 48v when I do replace the batteries. Sound right?

A little twist on the question then. What's my motivation to go to 48v rather than staying at 36v and sending the motor to Plum Quick for rebuild?

I'm not trying to make a speed demon, but would like it to have the power to get over the long hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car