lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #1
aleminx
Not Yet Wild

Default Smoked my amd 3294, what do I do

Was ripping all over 30mph with sc5 no prob then smoke and horrible sounds like metal on metal... Any hope? Haven't taken it off yet. Anyone else experience this?
aleminx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Default Re: Smoked my amd 3294, what do I do

Man, that sounds bad. I looked up that motor and the RPM limit is 3750 and it's rated at 24/25 mph. I wonder if it overrevved at 30 and the armature came apart. The only hope that I see for you is that I hope you don't overrev your new motor...
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
greg-g
Gone Wild

Well actually that is not the RPM limit of a 3294 That is where they Rated the horsepower Most Motors are rated around 5000 to 6000 RPM For Max RPM
Also you cannot go by the speed You need to know the size of the tired Gear ratio Excetera to know What the actual RPMs were

Now if you had of Taken it one step further you would have found that 3750 is only 17 miles an hour 5500 is closer to 25 miles an hour You posted two conflicting pieces of information
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #4
Out2Sea
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleminx View Post
Was ripping all over 30mph with sc5 no prob then smoke and horrible sounds like metal on metal... Any hope? Haven't taken it off yet. Anyone else experience this?
What were you using for a controller? Sounds like that motor got hot to the point maybe the thermal glue let loose.
Out2Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Well actually that is not the RPM limit of a 3294 That is where they Rated the horsepower Most Motors are rated around 5000 to 6000 RPM For Max RPM
Also you cannot go by the speed You need to know the size of the tired Gear ratio Excetera to know What the actual RPMs were

Now if you had of Taken it one step further you would have found that 3750 is only 17 miles an hour 5500 is closer to 25 miles an hour You posted two conflicting pieces of information
Ah, you are correct...I misread the HP rating versus max RPM. I did not speculate on his gear ratio, I speculated the overrev. I'm looking forward to hearing when the OP pulls the motor to find out for sure. Is an overheat to meltdown a possibility as suggested by Out2Sea?
Old 02-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Most likely the motor is destroyed.

You really need a controller with the proper field map parameters loaded to go fast without overheating the motor.

The after market "speed code 5" product (not an actual Curtis code designed to work with the controller parameters) makes changes to the settings the controller uses to regulate the power to the motor and allows the motor to overheat by operating in a very inefficient zone.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
aleminx
Not Yet Wild

It goes 32mph on flat with stock tires with the speed flash. It is it's all stock, tires, gear, and controller. It is really wild. Seems happy too wasnt getting hot only when I went from flat to a hill at full speed it didn't seem to like it, also batteries weren't fully charged for the last (fateful) run. I should have left it on the torque mode I suppose. Gonna take it to the local motor rebuilder here see what he says.... It didn't look too bad when I took it off, some epoxy flakes fell out, barely any soot it's a new motor... But was making some really bad friction sounds after the smoke came out. Had to limp it home too I imagine that wasn't very good for it either. Fastest ive ever went in a cart! It was pretty unreal I must say for a stock controller
Old 02-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #8
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Holy crap, that's really fast.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
greg-g
Gone Wild

You had to limp it home so it was still running ?

Also I think you are correct that the 3294 needs to be run in torque mode Not speed mode You might call them to confirm this.

More than likely just the brush pack is loose That causes the timing Of the motor to go out of whack
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
aleminx
Not Yet Wild

Yes it was still running, the Regen braking stopped working and it had barely any torque but it got me uphill to my house about a mile, stopped twice to let it chill . Still picked up speed but sounded horrible and wasn't fun
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car