lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Upgrade Motor And Controller Ideas

Hi I just recently purchased an electric 05 E-Z-GO TXT series cart. I installed a 5" lift kit, new 22x11x10 tires and rims, coil over front shocks, heavy duty 4 leaf leaf springs and shocks, new rear flip down seat. I want to know what I can do to increase both my speed and torque. I want to take the cart to the wood and also cruise it around the lake. Can you give me ideas on what I can do to achieve both parameters. Please keep in mind that I am new to owning a cart so please explain in detail what I need to do. If its changing motors or controllers or solenoids. I have already updated the wiring to 4 gauge wire. I am looking for the cheapest way first. Is there a different controller I can install that will help me with both speed and torque? Please help! Thanks.
bnall05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
h20fow1er
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrade Motor And Controller Ideas

New controller first... then a motor.
h20fow1er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
miferrel
Gone Crazy

Club Car

To BGW
miferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can you suggest what controller to use and will it require any other changes? Thanks, Bill
Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the Welcome Miferrel. I hope to learn lots from this forum. Learn from others. Bill
Old 09-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
h20fow1er
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Depends on what you want to do, and what your "plans" are.

Torque means controller, speed means motor. Lift and speed and torque require controller and speed.

With these, you will need to upgrade the solenoid and FNR Switch.

I just installed an Alltrax 4855 500 amp controller in my cart. I am still running the factory series motor, and will do so for as long as I can.

AND WELCOME to BGW!
Old 09-30-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks h20fow1er for the information. What did the controller do for you? Did it increase the speed of the cart? Did you have to change anything else like the solenoid? So is this a plug and play deal? I set it up for a hunting buggy but I want to enjoy driving it around the lake as well. If changing the controller to a 500 AMP controller will give me torque and alittle more speed then that is what I will do. Will the controller you purchased work on my 05 series cart? Thanks Bill
Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
h20fow1er
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The controller gave me incredible Torque, and a little speed. I wasn't chasing speed, it was a benefit. My cart is a multi purpose cart. I use it for family stuff, yard work, keeping up with my son on his 50 cc 4 wheeler, and hunting - shooting prairie dogs, hauling decoys into fields, running between turkey and deer fields, transporting guys around pheasant and quail spots.

The only way I can tell you about torque is by the "seat of my pants" method. With the factory controller the cart would go just fine with the 23” tires and lift. There was no spunk to it at all. I had to get the passengers out when it came time to go through the ditch, or cross the washout ruts in the pasture. It was super slow up hills, and often made one question at what point I was going to have to turn around. After the 500 controller it “stretches” the front suspension when "gassed". No wheelie, but that's not what I was going after. I can stop in ditches, and then drive out of them while fully loaded. I couldn't do that before. I can stop on the hills, and restart without any problems.

AS far as speed, I went from 13 to about 18 on flat ground. I still slow down on some of the longer, steeper hills in the area. But Its faster than walking, and I can do it with 4 adults on the cart. I also added 23" tires, so some of the speed came from that as well.

When I talked to the guys at Alltrax, multiple times, the consensus was that if you are building a true hunting cart you are going to want the larger heat sinking controller (8.5 inches). It's not the wide open running around that heats those things up, it’s the creeping. The larger heat sink will dissipate that heat faster.

Rather you go 400 or 500 Amp is up to you. If you see a motor upgrade in the future, than I would go 500, and program it down. If you are going to stay with the stock motor, than get the 400. I have every intention of upgrading motors and voltage later, so I chose the 500.

With either one you will need to upgrade the solenoid, go to 4 gauge wires, and upgrade the FNR switch.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
bnall05
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

GREAT Info h20fow1er. Your cart sound like mine. I want to hunt with mine as well and season starts tomorrow. I do plan on updating the motor at a later date. For now if I change the controller and get the results you have then I won't be in a hurry to get a motor. So as far as installation its a simple plug-n-play install? Can you tell me about this programing of the controller? What solenoid and FNR switch do I get? Thanks again for the info.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
h20fow1er
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll be honest and tell you I did not program my controller. The company that I bought mine from did.

We talked about what I wanted to do, plans, and of course the amount of available money that I had to throw at it. A motor was not in my budget this year. I will get a motor when ever the stock one craters. I just hope it's not very far from home.

Installing the controller, 4 gauge wires, and solenoid is very painless. It can be done in a couple hours while drinking beer and getting interrupted by the kids, girlfriend, and neighbor that can't believe what you are doing to the cart now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO