lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM   #21
cmattfish
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Squeaky rear end

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRyder View Post
You guys rock.... great advice!!!!!

Got home from work and put the rear up on jack stands. I pulled the left rear wheel, pulled the cotter key and took the nut off with my fingers!!!!!
Right rear was the same!!!!

Nothing was worn... in fact all the parts looked new, i.e. brakes, drums, axle nuts, etc. I used a liberal amount of anti-seize, torqued them to 100 ft. lbs. then further tightened to line up the cotter key hole.

The best part of this whole deal was the test drive...
NO SQUEAK!!!!!
HERE! HERE!!!! I got home tore it apart lubed the shaft and the out side seal of the bearing and reassembled it.NO SQUEEK!!! I had a problem with getting the correct torque on the nut. once I was to the point I could not turn the nut any further the hole in the axle was covered by the nut. I had to back off just a little.
cmattfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
jauguston
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Others will probably jump in here but I believe you would be better served if you did NOT back off the nut. If the cotterkey won't go it so be it.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
HDRyder
Flirtin' with Disaster

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmattfish View Post
HERE! HERE!!!! I got home tore it apart lubed the shaft and the out side seal of the bearing and reassembled it.NO SQUEEK!!! I had a problem with getting the correct torque on the nut. once I was to the point I could not turn the nut any further the hole in the axle was covered by the nut. I had to back off just a little.
Did you torque the nut with a torque wrench? The spec being 75-100 Ft Lbs should leave you enough to get the cotter key hole to line up.

Like I said, and following the advise of the experts on here, I torqued mine to 100 then tightened more to line up the hole. The shaft is fairly stought, I can't see it being twisted off using this method.

If it is some "Popeye" strength you need, I have a fool proof method... take a big swig of Pabst Blue Ribbon, then lean in there and throw the "jimmy" to it!!!!
HDRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #24
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree .... you never want to back off this nut to get the cotterpin in That will result in a stripped out brake drum hub sooer or later on a gas or electric..... better off adding a second washer if you truely cannot torque up to the hole. An extra washer will change the hole to castle nut slot relation
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #25
cmattfish
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

take a big swig of Pabst Blue Ribbon, then lean in there and throw the "jimmy" to it!!!! [/QUOTE]
I will have to add a washer to change the hole to nut relationship
PBR!?!?!?! Dont you mean Lone Star? I'm in Texas.
cmattfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think in Texas, officially PBR + Professional Bull Riding (assos) Google PBR
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
HDRyder
Flirtin' with Disaster

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmattfish View Post
PBR!?!?!?! Dont you mean Lone Star? I'm in Texas.
Pabst owns Lone Star... so it's all the same really I always bring some Lone Star home whenever I'm in the "Big State"
HDRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #28
John Morgan
Not Yet Wild

glad i could help u guys with the squeaky rear. a little spit in the right place goes a long way... I will be down in texas running the drag bike in march, and maybe drinking some of that texas lone star.. JOHN MORGAN
John Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO