lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Whiplash Machine

A year ago you all helped with a question I had on an ‘87 resistor cart I had just bought.

This cart ran great all summer. But it definitely is a “whiplash machine”. Step on the pedal and she takes off like a Bat Outta Somewhere. There is no such thing as a nice slow easy start. It does the same thing in reverse.

I’ve tried searching threads for a similar problem, but I’ve come up empty.

Could this be a resistor coil problem? Wiper board? Or both?

What’s the consensus?

Thanx.
Longie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Whiplash Machine

How much pedal travel are you getting before whiplash engages? If you're getting a lot of travel, I'd suspect the first and possibly second resister coils are broken/burnt off. Maybe a visual inspection of the resistors would help?

That's my $0.02. I will defer to the more experienced members, though.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think the 87 is a 5 solenoid cart and the solenoid 2nd from the driver's side is bad
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I won’t get to look at it until this weekend, but I’m 99% sure there is only one solenoid.

My cart knowledge is strictly limited to what I pick up from daily reading of this board. My initial guess is/was that the problem lies with the resistor coil(s). There isn’t too much pedal travel before is takes off, so if it is a broken coil, it probably is just the first coil - although I would install a new complete assembly.

I wanted to ask for opinions before I start taking anything apart. You know how it is with old equipment……..when you start messing too much with one thing, you end up breaking other stuff in the process.

Now my next question is: when I take off the cover to inspect the coil, is it usually a clean break and easily seen? Or, is this a microscopic thing?

This isn’t a big deal when I’m just driving around, but I also use the cart to launch my crabbing boat at the boat ramp and then it becomes kind of annoying.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Annoying and it is hard on the cart axles, motor, etc ... If you have an 89 it is a resistor cart with a V-glide then the problem is more likely in the V-glide but check the coils first... With the cart COLD (not having been driven in some time) jack it up and crawl under to easily inspect the resistor coils. Run your hand across the COLD coils to check for breaks. They are springs; a break will be fairly easy to find... but my guess would be elsewhere
Keep us posted!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Annoying and it is hard on the cart axles, motor, etc ... If you have an 89 it is a resistor cart with a V-glide then the problem is more likely in the V-glide but check the coils first... With the cart COLD (not having been driven in some time) jack it up and crawl under to easily inspect the resistor coils. Run your hand across the COLD coils to check for breaks. They are springs; a break will be fairly easy to find... but my guess would be elsewhere
Keep us posted!
Is this a hybrid EZGO Club Car???
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
77OMEGA
Not Yet Wild

My guess is burnt resistors. Had the same thing happen on my 86 Marathon. Only one speed, full blast. Checked the coils and only had one left out of the 3 that were on my resistor board. Easy to see. Drivers side behind the batteries on mine. Converted to a controller. Much happier now.
77OMEGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Longie
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Problem solved (I hope). The coils are in a ventilated cover, so I couldn't feel or see them. I took the assembly out of the cover and the #1 coil was broken. Later, the #2 coil broke as I was just handling it. I'll be putting in a new assembly.

Because this is an old cart, I'm sure at some point I'll have another question or two.

Thanx to all who replied.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
OOOooops....
gornoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Oh Um OH, that's embarrassing Yeah!

Glad you found the problem!!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO