lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #21
Sukubus
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Building a Perfect EZGO PDS Cart

What would be your major concern here?
Sukubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think you are getting the too good to be true reaction from both the Ezgo Dealer and the Independent shops .... Does the dealer say the cart will go 25mph?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #23
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A few things are being said here:
1) You should NOT lift a PDS cart - Series carts are a better vehicle to lift.
2) IF you do, then plan on replacing the stock controller with an aftermarket AllTrax 400 DCX or higher.
3) SMS is referring to their selling price is LESS than the parts they claim to be adding. At least the cost of the parts the he (and I) would build the cart with.
4) When you ask for help or an opinion here, plan on reading some answers you don't want to hear. When a price sounds cheap - experienced builders always raise a flag.
5) Seems you have been "shopping" price for some time now. Less price = less quality Nobody's going to get rich off of one cart sale...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Sukubus
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you are getting the too good to be true reaction from both the Ezgo Dealer and the backyard shops .... Does the dealer say the cart will go 25mph?
No, they claim with a speed chip it'll go 16-19mph. I just sold an EZGO and my only complaint was the speed. This is why I wanted to find the best way to speed it up without burning something up. I've been told these different things so far...
  • Just convert it to 48v with 4ga wiring, leaving the stock 36v motor.
  • Only change the controller to 500 amp programmable. keep 36v power
  • Only change the controller to 400 amp. keep 36v power
  • Just upgrade the motor. (some motors are better for torque, some for speed)
  • I should upgrade the motor and the controller. keep 36v power
  • Upgrade the motor, controller and convert it to 48v

I'm trying to get an affordable option that will actually speed the cart up and still be sound. If it turns out it's the last option mentioned in my list, and it'll cost $2000 then so be it. I'll have to decide if it's worth it to me. (which it wouldn't be )
But If I could buy a controller now and upgrade the motor in 2-3 years, I'd like to know. If its better to be 48v, then now is the time to do that. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The 48 volt option always surfaces, yet very few need to spend that kind of cash.

All you need is a DCX400PDS controller, 4 gauge wires, should get you 23 mph with 23" tires. A motor change is not necessary

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'll take 1 shot at this ....
The PDS cart is not the best platform for what you want to build. A series cart would be best for speed mods, period. But recent developments in the AC drive systems leave DC systems in the dust and they do deliver everything you are asking for and more. Speed in an electric cart does not come cheap or even reasonable, it is expensive.
In conclusion, I say keep shopping and educating yourself about speed carts....
Search this site .... I have seen some speed threads Like " how fast is your cart" that should offer some good reading? Good luck And let us know what you find
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #27
sms-shop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There was no sarcasm intended to you Sukubus.. i was just stating for what you quoted you were getting a good deal ... (hard to belive deal that is) just make sure they stand behind it.That there is no.......WELLLL that is not coverd issues ...when we build a new cart, and there is one that i'm building right now under members @ 75% done the cost is way past the price you stated.. all are cart are stripped down to the frame ,then blasted and repowdered coated.... touch up paint is not refurbished.. in my opinion.So you can see why I said what i did. Just remember that all carts are NOT created equal.
sms-shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #28
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukubus View Post
No, they claim with a speed chip it'll go 16-19mph. I just sold an EZGO and my only complaint was the speed. This is why I wanted to find the best way to speed it up without burning something up. I've been told these different things so far...
  • Just convert it to 48v with 4ga wiring, leaving the stock 36v motor.
  • Only change the controller to 500 amp programmable. keep 36v power
  • Only change the controller to 400 amp. keep 36v power
  • Just upgrade the motor. (some motors are better for torque, some for speed)
  • I should upgrade the motor and the controller. keep 36v power
  • Upgrade the motor, controller and convert it to 48v

I'm trying to get an affordable option that will actually speed the cart up and still be sound. If it turns out it's the last option mentioned in my list, and it'll cost $2000 then so be it. I'll have to decide if it's worth it to me. (which it wouldn't be )
But If I could buy a controller now and upgrade the motor in 2-3 years, I'd like to know. If its better to be 48v, then now is the time to do that. Thanks for any help.
Sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to let you know that there is a wealth on knowledge on this site. Not only the people that are giving you the info you are asking for( whether or not you are listening to it) but the the SEARCH is how you could answer your questions. So far a few PROS have told; without telling "not to buy it", and a few have told you that PDS carts are not the best carts to lift. Why not ask; What cart would you buy to do this to. Then again that is what you can use the SEARCH resource for. You could probably read for days about this same question if you wanted too. Good luck with your decision.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
Sukubus
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to you guys that helped out with your advice and opinions. I really appreciate it. I now have a direction.
"Fleck" , I can see you're a big part of this forum and spend a great deal of your time here. Probably in your own way are trying to put your ego aside and say something of substance. If you can see the private messages I'm getting, you'd realize overall you're not really helping the tone of these threads. But..I'm sure you'll have another condescending comment. So i'll leave it at that.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #30
SpoiledRotten
Conservatively Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukubus View Post
All I know is that the business I'm buying from, has been there 24 years and they just bought a fleet of (54) 2006 EZGOs and (82) 2007s. Maybe they got a great deal on the carts. I don't know. They seem very upstanding and have pointed out how some companies are selling flood carts. I can watch the entire build if i want as well. But again, I'm looking for advice on speed and torque so I'm not sure the relevance of price.
Maybe you could get them to put it in writing that this cart has not been in a natural disaster of any kind, notarized.

Then see how they handle that requests. If they make sure to cover their butt by insisting that the phrase "as far as we know" or "to our knowledge", they that might raise a red flag to you. Just a thought. Good luck with it.
SpoiledRotten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ezgo upgrades, more speed, questions, torque
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO