lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #1
Meanser
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default 96 TXT with DCS - Controller Bad

Just purchased an inoperable 96 TXT with DCS and was told that the controller is bad. It is apparent that it has been hot as the top as the plastic is a little melted. The last owner told me that the controller was replaced not long ago but was wired wrong causing it to go bad again. Any suggestions where to steer as far as replacement goes? Possibly an upgrade...

All suggestions welcome. this is my first cart!!!
Meanser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT with DCS - Controller Bad

What is the cart to used for?
Is it lifted w/ big tires?
What sort of load will it carry?
What type of terrain?

Welcome to BGW!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanser View Post
Just purchased an inoperable 96 TXT with DCS and was told that the controller is bad. It is apparent that it has been hot as the top as the plastic is a little melted. The last owner told me that the controller was replaced not long ago but was wired wrong causing it to go bad again. Any suggestions where to steer as far as replacement goes? Possibly an upgrade...

I'm picking up a running DCS cart tomorrow on a trade. I was planning on parting it out...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanser View Post

You can get a remanufactured for $150
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Meanser
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

The cart will be used to cruise around the neighborhood. The cart is not lifted and does not have big tires/wheels. There are some decent size hills around the neighborhood but nothing extreme.

I just picked the cart up this afternoon and have not yet had time to give it a thorough once over but I've got a couple disconnected/loose wires and a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals. One of the battery wires attached to the controller came loose from the crimp end when I touched it.

I assume that corrosion and loose connections could cause the controller to get hot and want to get the obvious things taken care of before I start throwing a lot money into this. On the other hand I've been told that it was wired incorrectly and ran for while before the controller overheated. If the controller was wired incorrectly is it possible for it to run the cart?

I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow to see if incorrect wiring is obvious to anyone.

Thanks again!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't know about that? But the most common cause of controller failure on DCS carts was low voltage.... THey are prone to melting controllers if the batteries are run too low. Get new cables and controller and make sure your batteries are good and install a SOC meter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

The DSC controllers were weak to begin with, so think about what your going to use the cart for first.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
Meanser
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Sorry for delay in getting back but thanks for all of the input. I've replaced all of my cables with 4 gauge. Where can I find an affordable controller? After spending a little time researching other threads I'm not certain that I want to stay with the DCS as they seem to be prone to controller issues.

Radical - you mentioned that a remanufactured one could be picked up for $150 - from where?
Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
plantman
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

My 96 DCS has treated me fine. the key is proper battery care.
plantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Huntin4fun
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just replaced my 99" DCS stock controller and solenoid. With a Alltrax DCX400. If u want my old controller and solenoid they were working perfectly for me, send me a PM to discuss. The DCX400 was a substantial improvement. Went from a max 12MPH to 20 with the change, on OEM tires.
Huntin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO