lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
SouthernCross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 96 TXT Controller Wire Question

Hello all. I have a '96 TXT 36V. Lifted, big tires, rear seat that opens to a bed for carrying feed to the animals. All batteries read at 7.1 volts. Cart has started randomly refusing to move. You can be driving and it'll just stop. Normal runtime is very low - may run for 35-40 minutes then essentially just stop. Last night it stopped and hasn't moved again. Found your sticky on testing procedures. Followed them. All voltages were as described until I checked the white wire on the controller connector. I have 0 volts on it, whether sitting still or with pedal to floor. According to the sticky, I therefore have a bad controller? What I see is a Curtis 25864G03 which I assume is stock. And from reading other posts, probably not wise to replace with same controller?

So, my actual questions. 1 - What/where does the white wire connect to on the other end? Anything that would affect my situation? 2- Does it indeed sound like I have a failed controller? 3 - For my weight needs, 4 riders, big tires, etc., should I be looking at a DCX400? Something else as good but, uh, cheaper?

Thanks a lot!
SouthernCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 96 TXT Controller Wire Question

Welcome to BGW. Is yours a DCS cart?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
SouthernCross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Tell me how I know - I'm fairly new to this so don't want to lead you down the wrong path. It's got a F/R switch under seat between driver/passenger. That connects via a metal rod to the actual switch under passenger's butt. Controller and solenoid sit just behind said switch under passenger. No toggle on controller cover.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You are pretty helpful You have a series cart. Remember that. Now what do you want it to be able to do? How fast?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I re read your original post. 4 riders~big tires~off road is a tall order for a golf cart. You should be looking at a 4-500 amp AXE controller or equivalent. Ideally you would run the cart on 48v. but you can upgrade in stages somewhat .... get a controller that will run on 36v now and 48v later.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
SouthernCross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, great. Big tires is done already. 4 riders is not typical, but I like to build for worst-case. Usually it's just the girls riding it. We have a beach house and they take it down there and ride on the roads. So typical will be 2 small riders on the road. Thanks for the info. Does it indeed sound like my controller is bad? When I hit the white wire with my meter, the wheels started turning. I just want to make sure I haven't overlooked a "duh!" kinda thing...
Old 06-07-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You better back up and check the peddle box micro switch
Old 06-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
SouthernCross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Checked that solenoid clicks and passes current as expected - would it still if the micro switch was dead? Is it under the pedal, or under the cart?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yeah under the floor behind the peddle ... If your solenoid is firing the micro is good.... I don't know why the cart runs when you test the ITS signal wire? unless .......
Old 06-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
SouthernCross
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, thanks. Could be worse I spose. So 1 last question. When I try to find an AXE 4844, which is what it seems I need, I'm asked if it's a TXT with ITS throttle. http://www.evdrives.com/alltrax_axe4844.html I really don't know - is that what I have? It also wants me to specify 12/24/36/48 volts - do I go 48 so I'm good come next upgrade time? Or 36 cause that's what I actually have? Sooooo many questions...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO