lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
mookiemoo
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation battery testing with Hydrometer???

purchased new controller and motor, but not getting the speed and more importantly, the torque i was supposed to get from it. someone told me i should test the batteries and i could use a hydrometer from an auto parts store to do so. has anyone done this and is it acurate? will it tell me if my batteries are sufficient enough to withstand the load needed for torque?
mookiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: battery testing with Hydrometer???

Yes get a good temperature compensating unit and write down your readings from each cell in each battery. Post the results here and we will help you analyze the pack
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
mookiemoo
Not Yet Wild

scotty, i was just looking for you. called carts unlimited to see if someone there could answer this question. they told me to speak with Barry. do you know him? is he knowledgeable? can i get this temperature compensating hydrometer from an auto parts store, like say autozone? would weak batteries be a cause for not seeing an increase in torque on my new alltraxcontroller dcx500 and D&D 502:1 motor?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

i use one everyday. It is the most accurate way to tell if you have a weak cell in the battery.

What type batteries are you running? How old? what size cables you running?
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

the batteries are the life of the cart. If you have one weak/bad one than thats your issue.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
mookiemoo
Not Yet Wild

i have exides, they are 4 years old and i am using all brand new 4 guage cables that i just installed with my new dcx500 controller and D&D502:1 motor. but the cart still slows way down and bogs down on hills.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

On the subject of hydrometer usage:
Prepare yourself. Wear old clothes. Rubber gloves. and Goggles. Seriously! Battery Electrolyte is hazardous material. It can cause burns and blindness. FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURE'S WARNINGS, CAUTIONS, & INSTRUCTIONS

It is necessary to get accurate readings to determine Battery cell condition. To do this, it is recommended to flush the meter between cells. This provides the most accurate readings. If electrolyte from good cell #1 remains in the meter when taking a sample from bad cell #2, then your bad cell reading may be falsely better than it really is...

Instead of running to the sink between cells to rinse, I take a sample of the cell I want to read and put it right back into that same cell. Thus diluting any liquid left in the meter. Then I am ready to take a sample to read & return the liquid to the cell it came from. Then on the next cell I repeat the 2 sample routine, reading only the second sample taken.... be accurate in your readings and documentation........ It is the difference between readings that indicate a weak cell. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
mookiemoo
Not Yet Wild

ok, so if i understand you correctly, go to cell 1, suck some liquid up in to the tester, put it back in the cell, stirring the liquid up, and then suck some more up to take your actual reading. is this what you are saying?. then after noting the results, rinse the tester, and proceed to cell 2. can i use a hydrometer from an autoparts store? what is temperature compensating? i do not think the one at o'reilly's is temperature compensating. is that important?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemoo View Post
ok, so if i understand you correctly, go to cell 1, suck some liquid up in to the tester, put it back in the cell, stirring the liquid up, and then suck some more up to take your actual reading. is this what you are saying?. then after noting the results, rinse the tester, and proceed to cell 2. can i use a hydrometer from an autoparts store? what is temperature compensating? i do not think the one at o'reilly's is temperature compensating. is that important?

NO, Cel #1 you just take the sample and read it. You need to rinse after the meter is wet so, cell #2 you suck it up and put it back before you take a reading sample? I hope I didn't make this too confusing 4 everyone?...

Mookie, don't forget your goggles, dude
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th_Madscientist.jpg (3.2 KB, 67 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
mookiemoo
Not Yet Wild

tell me, how acurate is this as opposed to the charge discharge process most repair shops prefer to do? my biggest problem is a lack of torque and the cart bogging down on hills.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO