lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
paramedtim
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO or Melex?

I just bought an older 3 wheel cart. The problem is it says Melex on the cart but the model number comes back as an EZGO. The model and serial number tag is under the seat on the drivers side rear wheel well. The model number is X440-3G. The serial number is 13441508. The last number could be a 3 and the second 4 could be an X. 13441503, 13441508, 134X1503 or 134X1508. It was painted over and hard to read. The manufacturers number is 313-13200. I Googled the model number and it came back as an EZGO. I would like to find out for sure so I can try to order some parts. A new seat and different cup holders would be nice. I don't plan on keeping it but I would like to fix it up a little and learn to repair it if needed. I also need to figure out how to adjust the forward/reverse switch. I have to wiggle it back and forth to get it into reverse. I am posting some pictures. Sorry about the pictures but they were taken with m cell phone after dark.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by paramedtim; 08-08-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Added something
paramedtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: EZGO or Melex?

Those old Melexs were EZGO clones....right down to factory manufacturing flaws. The majority of parts will interchange. Actually...just about all of it. I had a 77 3 wheel Melex and I bought ezgo parts. This isn't true for the later models.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
paramedtim
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I had read that on a site called Vintage Golf Cars or something like that. Would they use the same model numbers too? Is there anyway to tell the year?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

NO, model numbers are diff...Melexs were like 112, 212, 412 etc. The old ezgo's were "X Car's" hence the "X440" or X444

Before 1976 the serial number is under the driver's seat.

As for your F/R switch, take it apart and file the copper contacts. The contacts are probly oxidized real bad or possibly arced real bad....either case you should be able to file them flat again, you'll have to take it apart though.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

134X1503 comes back as January 1973.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #6
paramedtim
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
134X1503 comes back as January 1973.
Cool, Thanks. Why would it say Melex though? Thats what I'm trying to figure out. My cousin says that the cart is the same as it was when he bought it. Maybe the body was changed out?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedtim View Post
Cool, Thanks. Why would it say Melex though? Thats what I'm trying to figure out. My cousin says that the cart is the same as it was when he bought it. Maybe the body was changed out?
Melex is just a re-branded EZGO. Melex bought the chassis, and most components from EZGO then assembled them and put their name on it.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO