lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 3 Position Key Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You guys need to listen to what Smallblock tells you about Yamaha
Oh, I am listening. Smallblock jumps in on these threads and his input is much appreciated. I am a noob when it comes to these carts and know just enough to be dangerous.

I threw the question about the switch out there because I did not know how they are wired and if an aftermarket switch would work. Doing some research, I found the double circuit EZGO switch that would, in theory, work for my application.

I am curious how these carts are wired. I have two small wires going to the switch. I have tried to measure the voltage of the hot side, but not sure where the ground is wired on the switch circuit. Of course, if you ground to a battery post, you will get the additive voltage of each battery up to and including the battery you ground with. In other words, ground to the first battery and its 12v, the second and it 24v... Regardless of the voltage, I suppose the solenoid is not pulling much amperage. these are 14 - 16 gauge wires.

Can you fill us in on how they are wired Smallbock?
rlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes SB, do tell .....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

You can go to the www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsandservice and look up the owners manual for your car. At the end is a wireing diagram, sorry, I could not attatch it for you. The 2 wires that go into the ignition switch (red/yellow-will be 48 volts positive all the time and red/white-will be 48 volts positive only with key on). If you wanted to know if there is a ground to the ignition switch, no there isn't. The wireing is batteries/fuse/run-tow switch/ignition switch/stop switch (even the f/r switch is in this equation) then the controller. The controller activates the solenoid with input from the above mentioned series of components. Hope that helped some.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

I see, so its a big daisy chain of components that feeds the controller directly with 48V all the way through.

I was reading some more on this and found the following thread. This might be another way to control accessories and lights after the on/off key switch:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/golf-...olenoid.html#4

Looks like the draw on the coil side is only .25 amps @ 48V. That is 12 watts of power and should be fine for the switch and wiring in the chain.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Got my switch in today. Might try and wire it up tonight. Let you know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Works great! Off-Lights-Run & Lights
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Glad you got it working right!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Can you post your wireing solution, could help many members.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #19
rlowe
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Can you post your wireing solution, could help many members.
Sure thing. It is pretty simple. The EZ-GO switch (part# 33639-G01) has four spade connectors that control two independent circuits. Take the existing key switch and wire those two wires to one of the circuits. Take your lights/accessories power lead and wire it to the other circuit. It is really that simple.

My lights are on a push/pull switch and I left them wired that way. I wired the turn signal power to the switch. That way it works just like a car. If this does not make sense I will post pics.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha