lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: pop pop pop burning smell, G1 1982 electric

Be sure to check your resistor coil for breakage. That can cause some funny stuff to happen-been there/ done that!!
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2010, 09:33 PM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh51 View Post
ScottyB,
Sorry for calling you Go Dog, I see your name now.

I am a novice message board guy, please forgive me.

davidh51
That's okay you are doing fine.
Smallblock knows more about these yamis than most everybody. The motor is worth a look see.... It is pretty old.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #13
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Trkbilder,
I will double check, but it looked fine after the fizzle. some of those coils are very close together but arent touching. Is that an issue?

Dave
davidh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Scottyb,
Thanks,
Smallblock is the man on these old Yamaha cars. He has helped me tremendously, especially last year during my rebuild. He and others like yourself have saved lots of people much money and heartache while working on there cars. I for one appreciate the time and energy you people put into this board. You all give novices like me the confidence to do things we didn`t think we could do. I will load some pics this weekend of my car. It is not professional but I am proud of the way it turned out. It has come a long way from the old white, beat up, worn down car it once was. The motor and brakes are my last major things to be replaced and I had ordered all new brake parts last week that came in yesterday. Springs, drums and shoes. Ouch, around $175.00, I don`t think anything on this car had ever been replaced since 82.
Although, I have learned the project never seems to end with these old cars.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #15
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh51 View Post
Scottyb,
Thanks,
Smallblock is the man on these old Yamaha cars. He has helped me tremendously, especially last year during my rebuild. He and others like yourself have saved lots of people much money and heartache while working on there cars. I for one appreciate the time and energy you people put into this board. You all give novices like me the confidence to do things we didn`t think we could do. I will load some pics this weekend of my car. It is not professional but I am proud of the way it turned out. It has come a long way from the old white, beat up, worn down car it once was. The motor and brakes are my last major things to be replaced and I had ordered all new brake parts last week that came in yesterday. Springs, drums and shoes. Ouch, around $175.00, I don`t think anything on this car had ever been replaced since 82.
Although, I have learned the project never seems to end with these old cars.

Thanks,
Dave
I have to agree with you David, If it wasn't for guys like Smallblock ScottieB and others telling us "rookies" how to do things I would have a cart sitting in the yard that was toast at one time. Thanks for all you guys do!!!
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #16
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkbilder View Post
I have to agree with you David, If it wasn't for guys like Smallblock ScottieB and others telling us "rookies" how to do things I would have a cart sitting in the yard that was toast at one time. Thanks for all you guys do!!!
Davidh51 and Trkbilder, Those were very nice comments, hope I can live up to them in the future. Scottyb...he just helps everyone
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Smallblock,
You have already lived up to the comments I made.

Thanks for all the help.

But don`t get the big head, I am just buttering you up for more help in the future. Ha Ha Ha. Just kidding.

you are the man, I should put you on commission, for all the money you have saved me.

It is a small thing in the overall problems in the world now, but what you do on this board gives a lot of people help in focussing on something besides all the negative things happening. I know when I am in the garage working on my car all the big problems go away. At least for a while.

Thanks to you for what you and everyone else on this board do.

Better than watching another stupid reality show.

Thats the thing, you could be on a reality show!!!!

SMALLBLOCK, THE GOLF CART WIZARD. Sounds like a hit to me.

You may have to change your screen name to Mr. Wizard.

Dave
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #18
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

OK, enough of the love fest! Have you taken the motor off yet?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #19
davidh51
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Smallblock,
Yes I took the motor off today, and you were right.
The underside of the A-1 post, inside the motor, melted. It must have been thin from years of use and when I tightened the out side of the bolt I must have snapped it off.
We have an Armature Exchange Co. Fancy name for electric motor repair. The man said he could do some kind of weld it back together. He said everything else looked pretty good for as old as it was.
Supposed to pick it up next Tues or Wed. The man said it would look and work like a new motor. He is going to turn it, although it did not have any noticable grooves or anything, maybe one low spot. Even the brushes I replaced last year weren`t burnt. One had a couple of blubs of copper, but the wire looke intact.

When I pulled the coil to check it, on the end that the A-1 cable hook to must have worked a little loose. It had arched just a little, enough to burn about 1/3 the way through the bolt and weld the washer down.
Could this have caused my motor melt down???

Anyway, the man at the Armature shop said there wasn`t much they couldn`t fix as long as everything still turned.

Let me know if you have any furthur suggestions.

Also, part of the buttering you up part of my earlier post.
My new brake parts are in and I am going to tackle that this weekend.
I tried your method of taking the old ones apart and sanding the inside of the hubs and shoes but did no good. To old and pitted to work.

Any helpfull hints, seems pretty basic.

Thanks,
Golf Cart Dave, Thats what everyone at deer camp calls me.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Good news and bad news....If they say they can fix it "great", what are they charging you? Were the stud insulators damaged, if so, change them. As for the brakes, the easiest for me is to take out the axles. Theres a hole in the axle flange that allows you to take the 12mm head bolts out that hold the retaining flange. Undo the bolts, remove the axle and use one of the bolts to hold the backing plate back on. Now you can remove the "pin clips/springs" and install the new ones. Remember to "lubricate" the self adjuster screws and turn them all the way back in. To install, just the reverse of the procedure. I would also recommend "loosening the brake pedal equalizer (where the 2 brake cables attatch) for the final adjaustments.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha